Adhesives for Applying Laminate to Walls

Advice on installing laminate on walls. November 23, 2012

Anybody ever use FRP glue or similar to put laminate on walls? I have a bunch of bathrooms that need laminate on the walls and am trying to avoid using contact cement in this facility if possible. If not FRP glue, what about water based contact cement? I tried a sample piece of laminate with FRP glue on some sheetrock, and it seemed to work fine, but I don't know how it would work on an entire bathroom.

Is that made by Liquid Nails? If so, be careful. If the wall is painted, it will dissolve the paint and then peel off. It happened to me. It was a latex paint. It was new paint but it had time to dry for at least a week. Do a test first.

I have done it with solvent base contact cement.

I have used, on as many as 10-12 projects, Liquid Nails for laminating to walls. Almost all of them were either raw drywall or plaster with tile torn off of it. Nice to know about the latex paint peeling off. I will have to remember that one.

I've never used anything besides contact cement for walls. I would imagine it is hard to make a seam flush using a troweled glue. I asked about using FRP glue instead of contact cement on the first job I got that involved laminating walls. The laminate and cabinet guys looked at me like I was crazy. I never brought it up again.

We use the canister system, like TACC or Formica or whatever. We use them day in and out on convenience stores. Works great, stinks less than roll on, and it's fast.

From contributor Q:
As contributor C said. I do laminated with the blue stuff (Kydex). Fastest way is the canister. I like Hybond brand.