Ambrosia Maple

Beetles carry the fungus into semi-wet wood to create food for their offspring. December 11, 2007

Before owning a mill, I thought that ambrosia beetle infested wood was somewhat of a rarity. It seems that every maple log I have found so far has been infested by the ambrosia beetle. Does the beetle continue to work in the log once the tree has been cut, or does the tree have to be alive? Has anyone experienced more activity after Anchorsealing the logs and letting them rest for a few weeks before cutting? I figure the more, the merrier, when it comes to this beautiful feature.

The insect that carries in the ambrosia fungus on its feet into the wood (the fungus is food for the insect's offspring when they hatch) prefers wood that is not soaking wet, but that has begun to dry. It will not infect dry wood.

Dr. Gene, I have a friend who refuses to ship ambrosia maple around the country because he is afraid that he might be contributing to some kind of epidemic like the emerald ash borer. I'm researching the beetles to try to convince him that it is a non-issue. Am I correct? Is there a particular beetle or group of beetles that we find in the soft maple here in East TN? There are sure a lot of ambrosia beetles out there. 3,000 species according to one source. This is a picture of a 20"x2" slab that we sawed last week.