Applying Veneer over a Rounded Edge

Quick tips on applying veneer to a four-inch curve. October 19, 2013

Question
I've done basic veneer replacement on antique radio cabinets in the past, but am now trying more advanced stuff. I have several small cabinets with rounded corners, and I'm having challenges getting the veneer bent properly, then problems clamping to get glue adhesion and avoid bubbles. I tried the top on the cabinet shown and had to start over, as I hadn't clamped the rounded part properly. I was using paper-backed mahogany and TiteBond glue as well as Vac-u-clamp veneer softener. I don't have a vacuum press. I would appreciate any recommendations.

You need to get some hide glue and a veneer hammer, and practice on scrap. Forget the paper backed stuff too. It will take some work, but you'll get it.

Get some PSA backed veneer, and just rub it down. It will easily conform to that radius.

Haven't done any sheets that large, but I normally pre-form (bend) the veneer over torch-heated pipe. Have bent some over wood forms with a clothes iron. Makes the hammered hide glue process easier as you don't have to fight the spring-back.