Appropriate HVLP Spray Gun for Waterborne Acrylic Enamel

      Recommendations on spraygun choice, thinning, and more. November 25, 2008

I am looking for advice on an appropriate HVLP sprayer for waterborne acrylic enamel (SW Pro Classics) for a set of raised panel kitchen cabinets. I've been reading this forum and talking to different manufacturers. I believe I should be shopping for a 6-8 PSI 4-stage based system. Vendors have suggested the CapSpray CS9100, Accuspray 240K and the Graco 4900.

Since I'm a newbie I'd like your advice. There are some architectural details (routed channels with rounded over trim) on the cabinets that I need to get the paint into. Should I be looking at other HVLP manufacturers? Whose gun will do the best job atomizing this paint? Anything else I'm missing?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor A:
You should be able to spray the ProClassic with a 3 stage Accuspray with excellent results. If you can afford the 4 stage it allows you to spray with less reduction. However, I still believe you will have to reduce unless you use a pressure pot. The ProClassic likes to be reduced about 5% with distilled water.

From contributor R:
I just finished a closet project using ProClassic. 5-10% dilution on a 4 stage Fuji turbine worked great. Super smooth, ProClassic is a good product.

From contributor J:
I second that it lays down very smooth with a 5-10% reduction, and I used a cheap gun from Lowes - I didn't think I could push it through my Kremlin. It's pretty forgiving to spray, and durable.

From the original questioner:
Folks, thank you for the assistance.

Contributor R, did you have any HVLP experience with any other brands before buying the Fuji?

From contributor R:
I have only had experience with cheapo conventional guns before the Fuji... And buy the whip hose too - you will need it.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: General Wood Finishing

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2018 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article