Appropriate HVLP Spray Gun for Waterborne Acrylic Enamel

Recommendations on spraygun choice, thinning, and more. November 25, 2008

I am looking for advice on an appropriate HVLP sprayer for waterborne acrylic enamel (SW Pro Classics) for a set of raised panel kitchen cabinets. I've been reading this forum and talking to different manufacturers. I believe I should be shopping for a 6-8 PSI 4-stage based system. Vendors have suggested the CapSpray CS9100, Accuspray 240K and the Graco 4900.

Since I'm a newbie I'd like your advice. There are some architectural details (routed channels with rounded over trim) on the cabinets that I need to get the paint into. Should I be looking at other HVLP manufacturers? Whose gun will do the best job atomizing this paint? Anything else I'm missing?

You should be able to spray the ProClassic with a 3 stage Accuspray with excellent results. If you can afford the 4 stage it allows you to spray with less reduction. However, I still believe you will have to reduce unless you use a pressure pot. The ProClassic likes to be reduced about 5% with distilled water.

I just finished a closet project using ProClassic. 5-10% dilution on a 4 stage Fuji turbine worked great. Super smooth, ProClassic is a good product.

I second that it lays down very smooth with a 5-10% reduction, and I used a cheap gun from Lowes - I didn't think I could push it through my Kremlin. It's pretty forgiving to spray, and durable.

Folks, thank you for the assistance.

Contributor R, did you have any HVLP experience with any other brands before buying the Fuji?

I have only had experience with cheapo conventional guns before the Fuji... And buy the whip hose too - you will need it.