Benchtop Downdraft Box Hole Specs

Pegboard with 1/4-inch holes seems to work well. June 21, 2012

I am in the early stages of designing a portable downdraft box to be used on top of a bench. It will probably be about 24" x 48". I am looking for recommendations for optimal hole size/spacing and required CFM for this size unit. Any help would be appreciated.

(Dust Collection and Safety Equipment Forum)
Sanding dust is pretty light weight. If you used 1" holes and about 50-75 CFM per sq ft you would probably get good results.

I built a small one that works ok with a 1hp portable collector. I just used 1/4" peg board for the top and built the box about 4" thick with a 4" plastic blast gate for a hose connector. 1hp collector keeps the dust down, but when I hook it up to the 3hp collector, I get a nice bonus as the suction is sufficient to hold the part to the table while I am sanding.