Drying Persimmon

Persimmon is an active wood that is tricky to air-dry. November 27, 2007

Question
What thickness would you have persimmon sawed at? I have about 250 bd ft I'm going to saw and sell.

Let me tell you about my recent experience with persimmon. A month ago a friend of mine showed up with five 6' logs that he had just cut down. 18" at the base. He was looking for 4" thick to turn and sufficient wood to make a kitchen table. Within 4 days I sliced up 5/4 boards and 4" slabs, stacked, stickered, and strapped down. Air dry under cover in an open shed. The wood is very unstable. It began to split, check, warp, twist, and cup. At one point it sounded like when you pour milk on Rice Crispies. This wood seems to be very hydroscopic. When the humidity went up, the cracks closed up. Maybe the more experienced sawyers have some insight on how to process this type of wood properly.

Persimmon must be dried slowly indeed, especially thicker material. Treat it like white oak. Use burlap on one side of the stack to cut down air flow. Use a roof to keep sun and rain off. Check "Air Drying of Lumber" for more info.

I over-saw persimmon by about 1/2 inch so I can flatten it later. I end seal with about 3 coats on end grain, and on thick slabs I put one coat on the whole thing. In a shed and slow drying. PPBs will get to it and eat it up if you do not watch it. If you have a pond to put it in for about 3 or 4 months, it seems to saw and dry better. I only try to saw in the winter in order to slow drying.