Epoxy for Laying Up Ipe Stair Treads

Epoxy should hold a joint for glued-up stair treads in Ipe wood at 20% MC for an exterior exposure. November 28, 2006

Question
Dr. Gene, I will be constructing as exterior spiral staircase in ipe. The dealer says the wood has been aired dried only and should be at 20% upon arrival. The stair will be ocean front on a SC beach (not far from the wooden boat show you visited last year in Georgetown, and where my partner and I finished second in the timed building, 2:13 min, and 4th overall). I will need to glue a 2" x 4" strip onto a 2" x 11" tread. This will give me the required 15" tread. Using West System epoxy, can I glue these boards together at 20% moisture content and expect that they will stay glued together? Will there be any more drop in moisture content and how will that effect the timber?

West Systems will do a great job even at 20% MC. If the two pieces are closely matched in MC, no problem. I would expect to see 16% to 18% average MC.

I did see you building your boat and noted that yours was much cleaner and neater than the winners who had glue all over everything. I am hoping to go back this year. The Wooden Boat Show in Georgetown, SC is wonderful. In fact, I got so excited that I have since built a 12' wood sailboat.

Thanks, Dr. Gene - I wasn't sure where the wood would stabilize at. 16 to 18% makes me feel better about the longevity of the glue joint.