Facts about Tulip Wood

Most "Tulip" is a variety of Poplar, and it can have interesting traits. October 2, 2005

Question
What do you know about tulip wood? Is that just another name for poplar? I've got a guy that wants some poplar from me, and he also calls it tulip wood. He says the heartwood gets very black. I've never milled it.

Tulip poplar and yellow poplar are the same.

But tulip poplar, aka white wood and yellow poplar, is different from cottonwood, which is also a poplar. Aspen is also a poplar, but different from both of the above. Confused enough yet?

My wife has turned pens out of tulip wood, and this wood has some serious pink striping. You're telling me she's been turning yellow poplar?

There is also a tulipwood in the rosewood family that may range from yellow into pink into purple with a very deep luster. It does not grow in America. I wish it did.

Contributor K, that is indeed what I am most familiar with, regarding tulip wood. Thanks for the info.

Sometimes, if tulip is dead on the stump, it will develop purple in the sapwood. The purple is beautiful, I think. The purple ring will start about 1 deep from the bark and be about 2 inches thick all the way around the log. If you saw just right, you will go from a creamy to indigo purple and back to creamy in a 10 inch wide board with all the rainbow in the middle.

It's a shame that those rainbow colors brown out and fade, even with finish.