Folding Blueprint Table

Cabinetmakers discuss folding table options for the stuff they bring along when they measure a job. December 31, 2012

Question
I need a light weight, folding blueprint table for when I go to field measure jobs. Does anyone have any suggestions on sources?

Is there a reason that you prefer to manually draft a layout? I usually just make an ugly drawing that is not to scale with lots of notations. Then I enter it into Cabinet Vision. Sometimes if the client is not there I will bring the laptop and enter everything into Cabinet Vision on the spot. I am assuming you are a professional. Even if you have a small shop that does one or two jobs a month you should consider abandoning the manual drafting of a site.

I didn't make myself clear. I need to measure a job. I bring the blueprints, the job folder, my briefcase, tape, writing tablet, camera, whatever, and I need a place to put all this stuff. I need a place to write down numbers, maybe make a sketch of the room. I'm tired of trying to do this on the floor, or trying to find a piece of ply to set on a garbage can. So maybe there is a lightweight folding table that can be carried in and snapped together for this purpose.

Try a folding tube steel card table. I had one with an 1/8" masonite top that was covered in vinyl. I never used it for drafting, but it seemed stable enough. If I recall correctly, it was 30" square.

I would make a plywood cart/table that had interlocking joints so that it could be carried flat and setup in minutes without any tools.

I use a camera tripod with a nicely finished plywood top which could be any reasonable size. I simply embed a T nut and use the camera holding screw to hold the ply top. Itís simple but very useful. On the same subject, if you are not already using a good laser measuring device you are wasting time. I have also adapted a ply top for my iPod with "My Measures" app. This combination has proven priceless. Can't count the times were I missed some important detail, which now I capture on the iPod.

The Otterbox case with the utility series latch is an awesome combination. Itís excellent for securely holding the iPad for taking pictures and holding it at an angle when viewing/working with it. Plus, it makes the iPad practically bullet-proof.