Frameless Cabinet Door Dimensions and Tolerances

Of cabinet door gaps, wiggle room, millimeters, and math. June 28, 2007

How much of a reveal do you usually leave between a pair of frameless cabinet doors? I'm using a 1.5 reveal on the sides to maintain a 3mm reveal between cabinet doors and drawer fronts. Do you deduct an extra 1mm so that the doors don't bind?

What you're doing is common. I leave 2mm for a 4mm reveal, though. The math's easier and I like that little bit of extra wiggle room.

Thanks for responding. So if you had two doors to place on a cabinet 304mm wide, you would order/build two doors 150mm?

I use 1.5mm reveal on sides (3mm between doors), 0mm on the bottom and 3mm on top. I have not encountered any binding with hinges 4-5mm from the edge of the door.

I like contributor J's idea of 4mm between doors. As a lot of us outsource doors, the wiggle room really can make a difference. A friend of mine ran into that problem with doors he ordered that were pre-finished, and slightly oversized, and not by much.

I also use 3mm between doors and drawers. AWI calls for 3.2mm (1/8") with a variation of +/- .8mm (1/32") for Premium, +/- 1.6mm (1/16") for Custom, and +/- 2.4mm (3/32") for Economy.

I'd order them at 148mm to get 4mm between the split doors.

Thanks for your responses! I am asking because I just built a bunch of doors for a couple of frameless built-in floor-to-ceiling units, only to discover on installation that the doors wouldn't close properly, since I had originally designed the doors slightly oversized to be trimmed down later. Well, you can guess what happened... Anyway, I trimmed down the doors to allow for 1.5mm on each side of the doors and 1mm in between. In the future I'll make sure to size a pair of doors: (width of cabinet-4)/2 and for a single door: width of cabinet-3 to allow for the 3mm reveal.

3mm between double doors is a safe distance for European hardware. Less than that, as you found, and you have issues. More than that is just too much.

Standardize your products. Subtract 3mm from the width of single door cabinets and divide a double door cabinet by 2 and subtract 3mm. In that way, a 381 cabinet has the same size door as a 762 cabinet and everything in a perfect world has a 3mm gap. If you have double drawers over double doors, the drilling for the drawer front is the same as a single door/drawer cabinet. In my opinion, 4mm is too much gap. Face frame converts usually are more comfortable with a larger gap, but once you are familiar with tight tolerances, it is easier to construct.

Contributors M and B, I think I got it. So you are saying that on a set of double doors, there would be a 1.5 reveal on each side of the door as well as 3 reveal between the two doors. How did you know I used to build face frame? :)

I'd wager 3mm reveals came about because of old school Imperial mentality that can only understand 1/8th inch and 1/16th inch. There's nothing in the "old world" that easily translates to 2mm and 4mm. Also, in defense of 4mm reveals, I do a fair share of solid lumber fronts that move a bit, and can use that wiggle room. That little .5mm to 1mm extra space can be a life saver, the math's easier, and bottom line, in the overall scheme of things, you can't see the difference.

Well... 3mm is not 1/8", just like 32mm is not 1 1/4". Close but no cigar. I can't see where subtracting 4mm is any easier math than subtracting 3mm and yes, I can see the difference. To each his own - doesn't make it right, just different.