Glue Choice for Fabricating Stave Core Doors

Many different glues will work for this relatively simple task. March 18, 2006

Question
What is the best glue to use for gluing 3/16" solid wood skin to stave core for door construction? Was going to use a PVA or cold press glue, or just Titebond II or III. Are urea glues better than a cold press PVA? We will be vacuum pressing skins to core.

All the adhesives you list are good choices and will develop a joint stronger than the wood if properly applied. Cost is the major factor that you should look at. If you need waterproof glue (exterior door) or a glue that can withstand solar heating, Titebond III offers good protection. But I wonder why you did not suggest a polyurethane? For an exterior door, it would be my choice.

I use Titebond II, and I clamp in an old Black Brothers Clamp Carrier. Even white Elmer's glue and some pipe clamps/dunnage will prove sufficient.

I am in the process of using Titebond III and am very impressed with it. Do you tongue and groove the veneers or are they butt joined?

In my experience, they are always butt joined.

From contributor X:
If you want a glue line to show up, use white glue. If not, use yellow.

The Artisans in Kalispell, MT manufacturer some of the finest doors in the world. They use white glue, and there are no witness lines. I use white glue for mouldings, because it is so thin in viscosity that it doesn't interfere with the tightness of the joints, and it allows a long open time so as not to interfere adversely with the biscuits (which I always use for trim applications). For what you're doing, white glue is fine. White or yellow glue, properly applied and fixed, forms bonds stronger than the wood itself. WX resistant = Titebond II or equivalent; WX PROOF = Titebond III.