Handicapped-Accessible Conference Table Specs

Quick info on ADA-compliant table details. February 26, 2007

Question
I'm designing and building a conference room table and one of the requirements is that it be wheelchair accessible. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this?

My first question is the type of base to be used. If you have free reign of the design, use freestanding square or cylinder bases. That way you can recess these under the table, making it wheelchair accessible.

I do have free reign. The table will be about 15' long and get a glass top. I just didn’t find any ADA regulations on clearance under a table.

I would suggest that you find a copy of "Architectural Graphic Standards" it should have plenty of info in it to help make a wheelchair accessible table.

A.G.S. 8th Edition says; for a wheelchair, 21" min. toe kick (24" (standard counters) 29" max. (w.c. arm height), 31" (table height), 22.3" easy forward reach (men), 21.3" (women).

So it does look like I'll be able to get by with 2" edging and a height of 31". Some of the wheel chairs have a joy stick on the arm rest. I don't see how I can take that into consideration.