High Quality File Drawer Rails

Sources and ideas for hefty file rails. October 3, 2011

We are doing a high end home office with file drawers. Are there any new or better file drawer rails out there? We have used the plastic ones, and an aluminum bar mounted inside the drawer, but I would like something more high class. Any suggestions?

(Cabintmaking Forum)
We use the file bars from Timberline for the nicer jobs.

I use 1/8" X 1/2" bar stock from the local metal yard, cut it to length, slip it in the slots. You can also paint the metal. It costs less and is much heavier and thicker than the rails from the hardware suppliers.

Thanks for the responses. I should have said that they want soft close drawer slides here.

How do you determine the drawer size (width and depth) for the Timberline rails? Do you need to make slots for the rails, or do you just mount the brackets in the drawer? How tall is your drawer inside? Are these easy to install?

Timberline used to have an excel worksheet for ordering the file bars. I think you have to call and they will email the worksheet to you. Their catalog has pretty good info.

We use Kine Flex file bracket systems and cut 1/8" X 1" aluminum to fit the drawer. It is very simple and fits any size file.