Killing Red with Green Tint

Green dye can neutralize red in wood or an existing finish, but proceed carefully to avoid over-correcting.March 28, 2015

Question (WOODWEB Member)

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Forum Posts Categories

I am only an occasional finisher and need a little expertise. My customer has asked to take some of the red out of the African mahogany table I have made. My plan is to:

1. Spray a little TransTint green (22147) and lacquer to kill the red.

2. Wash coat with 50/50 vinyl sealer.

3. Spray TransTint (25182) walnut and lacquer to deepen brown.

4. Seal with vinyl sealer.

5. Clear coat with cab acrylic

Is this a good plan?

From Contributor G

Click to View Member Profile Shop Gallery Project Gallery Categories

The green dye will do it. Use is sparingly and go slow. Wait for ten minutes after it flashes before you decide to do another round.

From the original questioner

I've got TransTint coming in. Iíve never used it. Most of the finishing I've done is simply clearcoat. When I was coloring years ago we used powder dyes. Top coat was nitrocellulose. Everything has changed now - half the time I'm not sure what I am looking at.

There's always a chance that you'll spray too much green tint. In case you do, it will be visible as green. It can be removed by scuffing with a ScotchBrite grey pad. You can avoid spraying too much by reducing the tint to a very low concentration. I've had to do too many of these no red jobs, and I've learned that the customer can change her mind unpredictably, so a word to the wise: make a sample and have her okay it by writing "approved", dating it and signing it.

From the original questioner

Thanks for the heads up. Since I've never done this before I'm unsure of the right proportions and where to start. A medicine cup seems like a good place to measure out the TransTint, but how much?

From Contributor M

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Forum Posts Project Gallery

An eyedropper sounds better.

Instead of snipping the spout, take a finishing nail and poke a hole through it. This will turn it into an eye-dropper.

I like using a green I mix myself using TransTint primaries since not all red is the same or the ideal correction color for what your customer wants. I also use a very dilute mix in acetone since it flashes off quickly.