Limiting Cabinet Door Swing

Options for restraining a door's swing so it won't bang into the next cabinet. April 29, 2012

I recently installed inset doors with traditional mortised hinges. The doors work well, but when the user opens the door quickly it will swing all the way open and bang on the adjacent cabinet.

What is the standard way of limiting how far the door can open? It is a basic mission style door with face frames, so I could probably screw in a small leather strap. There is probably a standard way to address this that I am not aware of.

Whitechapel makes a couple of styles of lid stays. One called a rule joint stay, the other a sliding stay. They may be of some help.

"What is the standard way of limiting how far the door can open?" The answer is behavior. Once itís learned that the doors should not bang against each other the crashing stops. People that have only used hinges with limited swings have to adapt to free swinging hinges. Do they swing their passage doors open so hard that they bang against the floor stops?

"What is the standard way of limiting how far the door can open?" Salice and Blum make hinge restrainers just for this function.

I like to use the Hafele cable stop. It is a coated aircraft type cable with eyelets on each end and comes with two screws. Sometimes you need to account for an older parent or guest, child, or whomever who happens to let a door fly.