Locking Drawer Slides for Cabinets on a Boat

Suggestions for drawer hardware to keep drawers fixed in position on a boat in a rough sea. July 29, 2012

Question
My father is building a 36" wide cabinet for his boat. The drawers are 34" wide x 12" deep. He will no doubt have it filled with sinkers and heavy items and be in 12 foot seas. Cabinet drawers run aft to bow. His plan is to use magnets countersunk into the face frames - four per box to hold it in. Are there any lock in, lock out slides for this application or soft/self-close slides you would recommend? I see broken knee caps in his future as it is now.

I would use push to release slides.

The Accuride 9308 has lever trigger locks. There may be others from KV. Also, you may consider the stainless steel guides.

Blum Tandem with a tip on would be my choice.

I sent him the Accuride 38 HDTR touch release. He will build the cabinet, fill the drawer, and tip it back and forth a few times to see if they work.