Machining a Giant Chess Set on CNC

A CNC owner shows off an unusual custom project: Carving giant chess pieces based on 3D scans of small pieces. October 15, 2009

Iím about ready to start machining a life size chess set. The king is 72" tall and 24" diameter at the base. We are machining 2" thick hdu in 6# and spray epoxy for the hard coat, all files are prepped, sliced and tool pathed with vectrics aspire. This software is amazing. I need to remember that I am supposed to just make cabinets with this thing!

I love the idea. What spray epoxy are you using?

Nice one! Keep us posted with the finished job.

Here is a front back test with the bishop at 12" tall.

Here is a picture of testing.

What was the cycle time for both sides of the test bishop?

Sorry I have not responded sooner, we are still testing various weights of foam and methods to achieve good optimization. I expect we will have completed this very soon. The cycle times at this point is varying. The bishop you see in the picture took about 1.5 hours.

The king is in the building!

That's a queen. A king has a cross on his head, the queen wears the crown.

As one who never played chess before this venture I would be foolish to disagree! I carved the queen of this set and we will glue slices on soon. She is quite feminine and definitely not as tall as the king. She is without the beard though!