Painting over Lacquer

Tips on surface preparation and priming when applying paint to a lacquered surface. March 8, 2007

Question
I need to use latex semigloss over a previously lacquered surface. I'd like to sand as little as possible. Is there anything that could bridge them? Shellac maybe?

I still think you need to scuff sand first. I would use a shellac based primer such as Binn's. I assume this is a pigmented semigloss latex? This primer is a white primer.

If you plan on cleaning whatever you plan on finishing with the latex, and your concerned with the sanding dust, why not use a Purple Scotch Brite Pad dipped into a mixture of water and TSP? You can kill two birds doing this. First off you get a real clean surface, which latex likes; and by using the Scotch Brite, you get a slightly etched surface that’s suitable for the latex coating.

How about a 50/50? Washing it down well with TSP will usually etch the existing finish by itself - an essential step and Scotch Brite won't hurt anything. Then prime with BIN and finish with your latex. Just be aware that the latex can take up to a month to cure so don't expect to do an adhesion test a day after you finish it.

An alternative would be to finish with a pigmented lacquer in the color of the latex. Several companies offer custom color matching of lacquer. You tell them the paint brand and color you want - they send you color matched lacquer.

Sand it well and prime twice, sanding between coats of primer with 1-2 day dry time in between. Otherwise, you run the risk of the latex bubbling and peeling. There's no easy way if you want to do it only once.

You have to make sure that whatever kind of paint you use is lacquer-based or you will have a chemical reaction between the paint and the finish that you are painting over. 95% of the time the end result is money out of your pocket. You can use the finish coat you are painting over as your primer coat – I think it comes out a little smoother.