Painting over Lacquer on Kitchen Cabinets

Advice on applying oil or latex paint over existing lacquer. March 25, 2007

Question
I need advice on painting over lacquer kitchen cabinets with either latex or oil to keep the client happy. I can not spray in the environment. Can I sand light and then prime and paint?

Call your lacquer supplier and ask. Also call the paint company technicians for the brand you would use.

Do a test panel on a drawer back.
- Sand the surfaces 220g.
- Apply 1 coat premium oil primer, Kills, or Bullseye 123 oil.
- Let it dry.
- Sand it all nice and smooth 220g.
- Apply whatever topcoat enamel you like in a WB or an oil. Use only premium grade or better products.

Should work fine. You can also test the Bullseye latex to see if it will stick as a primer.

You can also apply a couple of thin coats of Minwax Polycrylic over the latex or oil-based paint for a little more protection. Make sure you follow the manufacturer's recommendation for care of the finish after applied.

One thing to remember is your primer and lacquer must be lacquer base... They have to be. If not, then whatever material you're spraying will not be compatible - major chemical reaction. Why can't you spray in the environment?

He is asking about latex and oil-based paints, not lacquer. Minwax polycrylic is a water-based product that can go over latex and oil. I have done this myself many times when hand painting distressed pieces.

Clean with solvent or TSP, then scuff sand, then apply Bins or Kilz for barrier coat.