Peg Joinery for Window Sash

How to make square pegs fit into round holes. July 23, 2014

I need to make about 45 traditionally built window sashes that are assembled with square pegs. I am concerned about over bidding the job due to the complicated joinery I will encounter. Would it be better to purchase pegs or make them myself?

From Contributor G

Click to View Member Profile Shop Gallery Project Gallery Categories

When I was building windows with pegs I just used 1/4" x 1/4" material and took a plane swipe on each corner to make them slightly round, more like a heavy bevel on the corners. I drilled a 1/4" hole and banged them in, making sure to round the corners as you were hitting them with a hammer and leaving them slightly proud of the surface.

Take a look at some old sash. The holes should be 1/4" diameter, 3/4" back from the joint. This is not centered in the stile. The pegs should be a tiny amount larger, depending on the wood species. Band saw the pegs to get a rough surface. Sharpen the ends 1/4" back with a utility knife. For hardwood, ease the corners most of the way up. Make the pegs 7/8" longer than the sash is thick. Drive the pegs from the interior to the exterior, so that the pegs won't ease their way out as the sash weathers. Put a softwood block on the bench to hold the sash while driving pegs. This will lessen blow out. When the peg is through, move the block, and drive it the rest of the way. Saw the pegs off, pare flush.