Pitch Buildup on Drive Belts

Is pine pitch accumulating on the drive belts of a bandsaw mill a problem? And what can you do about it?February 27, 2013

Question
We are sawing antique heart pine and we are getting pitch buildup on the drive belts. What’s a good way to deal with it? What is the best blade for antique heart pine? We have an LT35 with 25HP gas motor.

I assume you mean the V belts the band rides on. I have always experienced such build up when sawing pine. I just clean it off of the belts when I change blades. I did however get a lump of pitch and sawdust built up under one belt. I use ten degree bands.

Unless it is compromising your cuts, let it go. I used to have a sawyer who thought the accumulation on the belt was the problem. I would give him a new belt and he was happy. I saved the old belts and still use them today. The issue was his perception. I think you will deal with the pitch on the blade and the belts are going to be ok. I mill ponderosa and Doug fir with much the same mill. The pitch building up on the blade is where I see the problem in the cut.

I only have a few hours run time on an orange machine but I ran the belted wheels on my past two machines for a few thousand hours. I had a scraper on both wheels and for a long time I ran Pinesol and water to lube the blade and keep buildup off of them. That worked well for me unless I mixed too much soap with the water - that caused the drive wheel to slip inside the blade, leaving a black residue on the wood. I switched to diesel fuel for lube and then changed from belted to all steel wheels.

I get virtually no build up and the mist from the oil reduces buildup on other parts of the mill. I also keep Pam to spray the rails, bed, and other parts of the mill that I normally get buildup. After adding a dust collector to my list of toys it also helped to keep the mill cleaner especially the air filters and my lungs.

I also use diesel fuel. A very slow drip will get rid of your pitch problem. On some woods I use only if necessary. It also keeps blades from rusting. Some will tell you that it is not right environmentally to use fuel. The tiny bit I use has never been a problem. It never shows up on the lumber either. I use my sawdust for cattle bedding and they seem quite happy laying it.

Like Contributor O I used the drip method for a couple years. I studied most of the lube systems on all makes of mills and the wipe system seemed to be more efficient to me. So I set about designing my own and wanted to be able to cut it off and on with a flip of a switch. I purchased my wiper felt from Cook's Sawmill Co., the regulator valve from Grangers, 12v solenoid from Ebay, and the rest from Lowe's. It works so well that I have been using the same piece of felt for four years.

When you have any buildup on your wheels or guide rollers it is like having a knot on your car tire. It transfers the vibration into your mill, blades, and most of all the quality your work. If I get any buildup at all I stop and fix it. Usually the scraper has worn a little and I just trim the edge to make it new again or the log has more pitch and I turn the lube up a little. If your mill is plumed, level and set up right you can cut near planer quality lumber at times.