Pneumatic Clamps for Sliding Table Saws

Info on aftermarket and shop-built pneumatic setups for clamping material to a sliding table saw. March 26, 2009

Question
I am interested in setting up a hold down clamp for panels on my slider. If anyone has ideas of how to make one myself it would be appreciated. I want to activate the clamp at the head of the sliding table from the back of the saw before I start a long rip cut.

There is a guy on the Felder Owners Group that designed a set of clamps that go into the slider for this very purpose. They're called the "Big Squeeze" clamps. There is info on the site about ordering them. I have a pair and they work great. For the cost you wouldn't even want to try to make them yourself. A pair with a master/slave setup is around $650. A single clamp is less. They are very well made and well thought out.

The name of the company that now makes those clamps is Piranha Plastics. If you Google "big squeeze clamps" the first one that comes up is a tutorial of how to install them on a Felder by Best Woodworking, but the pictures aren't that great of the clamps themselves.

Here's a picture for you. Great clamps in my opinion.

Martin has a great clamp for sliders. Google "martin saw". Listed under T74 classic, accessories, "Pneumatic pressure bar clamps for sliding table," T7470-a.

I built one myself for about $650.00 in materials. The nice thing about a full length clamp is that it holds warped panels flat and never needs adjusting. The beam is easily removable when not needed. I also installed an activation pole that runs the entire length.

Note: In the image below, the safety shield on the hold down beam mechanism has been removed for visual clarity.

Photo courtesy of Progressive Wood Works Inc.

Rube would be proud of you. I've got modifications to a lot of my stuff to make it do what I want also.

That's a great full length clamp, but I just need one hold down at the fence end of the slider to keep sheets stable. I cut sheet goods mostly.

I made 2 for $30; 1-4', and 1-8'! Took some 1/4"x3"x3" steel, cut some hand holds in it, and buffed all the corners so it would "make nice" with the plywood. Crude but really fast, plus you get more exercise! :-)