Polyester topcoat for automotive trim

Polyester topcoats: Best left to the experts? April 17, 2000

Q.
I have some wood trim that I am re-laminating to the existing wood base in a high-end German auto. I have been told that when I am done I should re-coat the finish with polyester. I have no idea where to get this material and, if I do, whether it will be compatable with the existing finish.

If you don't know anything about polyester then by all means don't mess with it. I've had some experience with this material and think it's awesome stuff. You would be better off, since you seem to be investing a lot of time and money in this project, to find a qualified person to do this for you. You could spend a lot of time and money trying it yourself and end up with a big nasty mess on your hands.

Europeans, if I am correct, started using polyester way before we Americans, and the wood may already have polyester on it. But like I said, find someone that can do this for you.

I have many customers using polyesters and also have used them myself over the last several decades. If you have little finishing experience, hire the job out.

The best finish system for the wood would be a polyester/acrylic urethane system or an all-acrylic urethane system; it won't yellow, and has excellent flexibility.
Bob Niemeyer, forum moderator

I would be interested in the system, my only concern is that the system be compatable with the existing finish.

You would have to test the compatability yourself if going over some of the old finish. Not a single manufacturer will recommend doing this, but if done correctly, it is possible. That said, it is always best to start with a freshly prepared wood surface throughout the project.
Bob Niemeyer