Quality Control with Spray-On Contact Cement

Tips for avoiding bubbles and telegraph lines with contact cement and laminate. June 12, 2014

Question
For years I have used Wilsonart roll-on contact adhesive for making laminate tops. In the last year, I have discovered the benefits of using a spray-on contact adhesive. I switched to a Starstuk clear spray on adhesive in the canisters. The problem I have is that I seem to always get both lines and round bubble spots that can be seen in the tops when you look at them at the right angle. What can I do to eliminate this problem?

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
This type of contact cement requires that you get it on very evenly, otherwise it does telegraph. You need to spray it as if it were lacquer.

Are you using post-forming grade, or general purpose? General purpose usually hides things better.

From Contributor T

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Forum Posts Categories

You also can reduce the amount of bumps and lines by using a scrap of laminate to scrape the adhesive after you spray it will knock down any high spots.

From Contributor G:
Are you putting it on too heavy? Iíve never had a problem like that and Iíve been using the tanks for years. Maybe your sprayer is bad. Too much glue can cause de-lamination.