Removing the Velcro Adhesive from a Drum Sander

How to get the glue off a sander drum when you're changing out the velcro. November 18, 2006

Has anyone out there ever replaced the Velcro on a Woodmaster drum sander? I can't seem to get the old adhesive off unless I soak a small patch with Acetone for about 10 minutes. I calculate that it will take me about 10 hours at this rate.

Get some wet dry sand paper(220-600 grit) and some lacquer thinner/acetone and wet the drum and the sand paper then turn the drum on and sand away (like sanding on a lathe). Keep your paper wet and your goggles on and you'll be done in about 5-10 minutes. Just be careful to hold your hands solid enough to not get pulled in. I've done it several times and haven't had any problems except for the fumes.

Using that solvent mixture with the machine running is an explosive situation, better to take your time and be safe.

Gun wash may work a little faster.

I just did one recently. I tried all kinds of solvents and heat. Paint stripper was the one that worked best and fastest.

Goo Gone - you can get it at Walmart. It works pretty well. I had the same problem and tried everything. It is made for exactly what you are trying to do, and it's cheap.

I just did one. I used a heat gun and rubbed it off with my fingers. It took about 10 minutes.