Sanding-Pad Staining on Solid Surface Tops

The color in sanding pads sometimes rubs off onto the solid surfacing, but it can be avoided. December 11, 2007

Question
Maroon Scotch Brite pads are leaving a maroon stain, probably everywhere, but it really shows up on white tops and sinks. Is there a better way? Am I doing something wrong? I remove it with alcohol and elbow grease.

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
This is a first one for me. I use either Sia or 3M and never had any problem. After I use the maroon, I simply wipe off the white sludge with 50% water/DN alcohol. Are you using it dry for the matte finish or spraying a water mist on the top?

I have been using a gray scotchbrite from Klingspor and have had no problems. Also try using a lot less water. What specific color material are you using?

Try not applying so much pressure. Heat is softening the pad. And sinks are not made of exactly the same material as the sheet stock. They are softer. I had a fellow get red stains once at a sink seam line. Watched him sand with the pad and discovered he was trying to sand out things with the pad that should have been done with sandpaper.

Thanks. I discovered this morning that was exactly what I was doing - too much pressure. About the water - I have never used water with the scotch brite. Should I be? The color surface was Ivory white and a white sink.

We see some staining with a yellow scotch brite pad that we use, with water spray. They are Sia from abrasive resource. They have the hook and loop back, which is nice, but the old plain ones never did stain. The stain will buff off if you spray a little water on it and re-scotch brite.

A lot of times the staining is from using scotch brite on a fairly rough surface. I would suggest going through a more extensive process of sanding pads before you use the scotch brite. Another thing that causes staining is using a sander that does not have variable speed. In addition, a good sander with dust extraction can help your situation, and also produce a much more uniform finish. It's been my experience that a good finish increases a company's profitability. The greatest cost is created when customers call and you have to return to a job for the second, third, and forth time. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.