Saw Blades for Hardwood

Tips on choosing a saw blade that's appropriate for the machine and purpose. January 3, 2014

I just bought a used double miter saw. What are the recommended 12" blades for cutting solid hardwood 2-3" wide x 3/4" to 1" thick? They have to produce a clean, smooth cut (for miter door frames).

From contributor J

In general, get high tooth count and thick plate. I don't know where CTD gets their blades, but they work well. I have also had good results from Forrest Chopmaster.

When I bought my CTD years ago, the dealer insisted I buy two Leitz blades for the best cut. They fuzzed and tore out, and shuddered when they entered the wood, so I called CTD. They sent two of their blades that cut perfectly. I sent back the Leitz (a very good tool manufacturer in all respects) and the CTD have worked very well, at about half the price.

From contributor E

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Forum Posts Categories

If you are making picture frames or mitered doors, the main blade used in the picture framing industry is made by Ultra Mitre. You can't go wrong. They have a 2 for 1 special from time to time.

Just purchased Leuco 80305449 12'' miter blade for my alpha double miter. They work great. Blades seem to work differently depending on the machine they are being used on. I have two double miter saws. One is a horizontal, the other a vertical cut. You can't use the same blade for each. The horizontal machine has a consistent saw cut throughout the cut, which makes the best miter. The vertical saw cuts from the top to the back. Using a stiffer blade works better on these saws. Alternate top bevel with a rake preferred. Roice makes a good blade for this.