Scales for Weighing Cutter Knives

Out-of-balance cutters can do expensive damage, so shop carefully for a scale to weigh them. May 6, 2014

I've been nagging the boss at work for a scale for months and they just delivered a kitchen scale measuring in ounces and grams - not what I was expecting. What kind of scale should I be using?

Try an Olhaus Scale. Thatís what most moulder guys use. Digital can be expensive but if you want long term it's nice. A simple balance scale has served many well for years too.

From Dave Rankin, forum technical advisor:
If knives are out one gram, this means that at 6000rpm the force on the bearings is 22 rotational pounds. I am working on a machine this week that had a head with knives that were 1.5 grams out of balance. This ended up damaging the bearings at a cost of $850. An O'Haus Trip Balance or electronic scale cost $325 or less. Itís cost effective without a doubt.