Sealing Ultralight MDF Shop Jigs

Ideas for quick sealing of MDF. January 14, 2009

Question
We use ultralight MDF for a lot of shop jigs. It’s convenient, flat, and stable. It is however a real pain to seal. We don't need a finish grade coating, just a sealant for long term stability (and so spilled coffee doesn't ruin the jig).

Does anyone have any suggestions - especially on the "end grain" cuts. We currently do a three coat water base poly with sanding and that’s way too much work. It takes much longer than building the jig.

Bull's Eye clear shellac.

Shellac was my first thought, but the shellac sucks right in and takes more coats to seal than the water.

Have you tried Glue size? Wood glue slightly thinned with water.

One heavy coat of lacquer vinyl sealer will seal MDF.

If it doesn't have to look pretty, one coat of heavy bodied primer, aggressively sanded back and one topcoat of whatever you like.

If you can machine sand the end grain cuts to 400 grit or higher, they should seal much better for you.

I have sealed a lot of MDF edges and tried everything. I sand with 100 grit then flood Bullseye dewaxed shellac on with a bit of lamb’s wool until it doesn’t want any more. For me sanding finer before doing this is a waste of sandpaper and time. Sand the result with 150 and you are ready for any primer or topcoat.