Splitting Wood - Green Versus Dry

Wood is stronger, and thus harder to split, after drying. April 11, 2008

Question
What wood property makes it more difficult to separate hardwood fibers after they have dried? It seems a little counter-intuitive since I'd think that dry wood would be more brittle/prone to separation, but I find that dry hickory, beech and other hardwoods are more difficult to split when dry vs. when green.

I would think that dry wood would be more compressible than green wood. The splitting maul tends to sink into dry wood and deform the wood instead of splitting.

Dry wood is twice as strong as green wood. This is the main reason why green wood splits easier. The brittleness does not typically occur until under 6% MC. But even if brittleness increases, if the wood fibers are intertwined, the wood will not split well

Dr. Wengert - what is it about dry wood that makes it stronger (less prone to separate parallel to the 'grain') than green wood?

I do not know.