Spray-Can Lacquer Finish

A craftsman shows off his wall unit, finished with lacquer from spray cans. Down side: it took 50 cans. October 2, 2005

Question
Just wanted to show you my finished wall unit. It was built with cherry wood and MDF. A while ago, I asked about spraying lacquer, etc. I decided that I didn't want to mix Japan colors and cut with thinner. This unit was totally sprayed with 12 oz premixed colored lacquer from architectural.net (easy on). It took 50 cans. I did 4 coats and sanded in between with 400 paper. I used mahogany red and mahogany brown. I did matching trim on top and bottom and going around the room (after this photo was taken).

My next project, I'll mix the lacquer, unless you know of a place I can order premixed colored lacquer for a hvlp spray gun!

Here is a newer picture with the new hdtv.

Any distributor will tint lacquer to any color you want. Some will even put it in spray cans for you, but at about $10/can, it has to be the most expensive way to finish that I can think of. Didn't your finger get tired?

Can a WB lacquer like Fuhr 375 be tinted in the same manner?

Yes, very tired... but a nice solution for people without a compressor and gun.

As far as I know, no WB can be put into spray cans because of the solvent propellant. It makes silly string. However, my knowledge is not current; there may have been advances that I don't know about.

But you didn't ask about putting it in spray cans… Of course, WB lacquers can be tinted.

Krylon now makes waterbase in spray cans. Saw the product at ACE hardware last week. Haven't tried it.

So they do. I looked it up at www.krylon.com. Doubt that it comes in custom colors, though. By the way, the wall unit looks pretty fine.