Spray Tip Sizes and Pre-Catalyzed Lacquers

Finishers discuss the uses of different tip sizes, and whether or not to thin lacquers when applying them. October 28, 2005

I am trying to spray a bar with my new Fineck Gravity Flow Gun. I am using Magnalac precatalyzed lacquer C144 14 Satin 35 with tips 1.3, and I also tried 1.5. I am not getting enough spray out of either tip. I considered taking the filter out does anyone have any suggestions?

If Magnalac has the same viscosity as Magnamax (30 sec Ford #4 at 77F) then you would need to use a 1.7 mm tip and thin it with 1-1/2 oz of standard thinner. I usually don't thin my Magnamax at all and I get good results.

Before you buy a new tip, try taking the fluid filter out of the gun if it has one. You can lose a lot of flow. Use a cone strainer when you fill the cup.

Im in the process of buying a few new guns and want to know which tips to use for what? I was told to buy a 1.3 for Magnalac, and a 1.8 for Campbell UltraStar. Is this true or should I just buy 1.7 for everything?

To contributor C: You probably will have troubles with just one tip. I have three tips, and I wish I had one more for primers. I have a 1.5 mm, 1.7 mm and 1.9 mm. I also wish that I had a 2.2 mm for my Magnaclaw primer. I haven't used the 1.5 mm tip that came with my gun in awhile. I usually use my 1.7 mm for Magnamax clears and the 1.9 mm for Magnamax opaques. I don't use any thinners with the clears. But with the opaques, I have to thin 20-30% to get a good flow out of the gun and on the surfaces I am spraying.

I am just starting to spray Magnamax and with my gravity gun. I have found the 1.8 tip seems to work pretty well. The 1.5 just didnt have the flow. I almost put the 2.2 in but the 1.8 is working well.

Quite simply, if the Magnalac isn't coming out fast enough, you need to thin it. If it comes out too slowly you will either get orange peel or a rough dusty finish. Thin it with lacquer thinner a little bit at a time until it lies like glass. I am only experienced with it on a gravity cup gun, but I use it all the time with Magnalac. I find that thinning it makes it come out quicker and the passes are faster and more even. I use a 1.8 tip.