Temporary Door-Pull Expedients

Before the customer chooses knobs, you've got to use your imagination. Blue tape is just the beginning. February 20, 2008

Question
For those of you hanging inset doors... I've been using blue tape folded over on one end stuck to the inside of the doors to be able to open them up when there are no knobs or pulls on my doors and drawers. These stay on (yeah right) from assembly through install. What do you use? Tired of looking like a scrub. I believe there is a product used for this, yes, no?

I got customers who can't decide on knobs who still have their blue tape. Do it all the time.

I use the green tape. Sticks to lacquer better than the blue.

I believe blue tape is the gold standard for this. Sorry... keep scrubbing.

If I am sure they are going with a single knob, I use a drive screw in the spot where I will drill out later for the knob. The other thing I do is not put anything on, and use a piece of metal strapping with a 180 degree bend on one end to make a hook, and I hook the door through the gap when I need to open it. Another way to reach in through the gap in the door without tape is using a very small allen wrench - just slide in the gap, turn 90 degrees and pull on the door. The clients don't like the tool solution, and it makes them choose a knob or pull much quicker!

Yup, I'm with the blue tape crowd. The one exception (which I'm doing right now) is when the client knows which pulls they are going with, but the supplier is months behind in delivering (knobs arrived on schedule) and they are using their kitchen. I drilled out all the fronts for the pulls and used some knobs I had scavenged from a previous kitchen demo. (Knew those cheesy knobs would come in handy some day!) It's not pretty to look at cheapo knobs hanging out of a drawer front, but it makes opening and closing a lot easier in a functioning kitchen.

Why not use a small piece of ribbon, attached behind the plate for the magnetic door catch? It can hang over the door, will not break, and will not hurt the finish.

I use blue tape. I would never drill until I have the knobs in my hands; might change their mind or become discontinued.

I prefer to stick with the traditional old-world craftsman solution: blue tape.