Tenoning Jig for a Sliding Table Saw

Rigging up a slider to cut tenons on the ends of boards. October 3, 2009

Question
Does anyone know of a jig that can be used on an Altendorf slider for cutting tenons? Can a tenoning jig such as the Delta 34-183 or 184 be altered to work on a slider?

Why spend money on a unit only to modify it? Just build one that rides on the existing fence on your Altendorf. I work on an Altendorf Elmo. We don't use it for tenons, but I can certainly imagine making a tenon jig for it. There are plans all over the place for making tenon jigs that ride on a Beismeyer fence, you just need to figure out the fence on your saw.

I thought of making one but I have a WA8 and it does not have a micro adjustment on the fence, so it may be a bit hard to accurately set. I thought if I just changed the 3/4" mitre strip on a normal tenoning jig for one that fits the slot in the Altendorf fence, then I would have all adjustments required. I am open to suggestions, however.

Why not make a vertical holder with a fence on it that you can clamp to the slider? You can use spacers between the work piece and the vertical holder to cut accurate tenons. I made a jig to cut double tenons on check rails for double hung windows before I had the tooling to do this job with a shaper.

The jig stays stationary on the slider and you move the work piece in and out by adding or removing spacers. The spacers I used are in the lower right hand corner of the picture.