Touch-Up Toning in Place

Spray can products might work for fixing a slight color mis-match in the kitchen. January 24, 2014

Question
(WOODWEB Member)

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Project Gallery Categories

I have a stove hood that is lighter than the surrounding cabinets, already installed. I need to tone the hood darker to match. Having minimal experience with UV dried conversion varnishes, not sure what I should use for finishes. My experience is with lacquers. Can I tone my catalyzed lacquer and spray over the varnish, where this is an area least susceptible to wear? I know the chemical makeup of the two is different, but my comfort level is in lacquers.

The hood looks to be a good match to the door on the left, but not the door on the right. Is that just the photo?

Anyway, if you can spray a pre or post cat lacquer, you can spray a CV. It's really not that much different of an animal to spray. That said, you should have no issue putting a lacquer over top of a CV, but a test sample is always a good idea. The general rule of thumb is you can apply a softer finish over a harder finish, but you can't put a harder finish over a softer one. Just be sure to give a good scuff sanding prior to spraying anything over top of the existing.

Contact Mohawk and tell them what you need to do. They have toners in spray cans off the shelf.

Second the Mohawk aerosol toner. I keep a couple of common colors on truck for quick fixes and to adjust add-on stuff on site.