Tracking Hours of Sawmill Operation

Keeping tabs on your time with a sawmill clock. May 11, 2005

As a new Peterson operator, I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever fitted their mill with an "hours of operation" clock? Would a tractor supply likely have such a clock that can go on my powerhead, or should I check with Kolher?

Get a used 12 volt clock from the auto wrecker if you already have a battery. A switch and a red reminder light is all you need. I keep a pad and pencil handy for start and stop times.

The hour meter most commonly used is called a "Hobbs meter". WW Grainger sells them, and you can also obtain one from Kohler.

You can get hour meters on the mills. Make sure that you get the one which is compatible with the smart spark ignition if you have the Kohler 27hp. Sandec makes a good one which is an hour meter when the machine shuts down and a tachometer when the machine is running. It also tells you to do a service every 25 hours. (But you don't have to every 25 hours). These are really easy to fit. Peterson also has these, but they can be found in the USA.

Thanks. I hope to make my first double cuts today - 5/4 x16". My client has saved all his trees from the building site clearing and making timber frame members and paneling to go into the finished house. Took apart a 40" RO last week for some beautiful timbers - nine 6x8s and three 4x8s all from one log.