Trestle Table Dimensions

A furnituremaker gets advice about the structural design of a large trestle table. December 31, 2012

I am designing a 14' solid black walnut trestle table with breadboard ends. Typical approach with two trestle ends and double stretcher beams secured with tusk tenons. The top will start with 8/4 rough, shooting for 1 3/4" thickness. My understanding of trestle placement is to have 5/9 of total length inside and 2/9 on either end to avoid sagging. That leaves me about 36" on either end. I am wondering if the top will be stiff enough to avoid having an irritating vibration and/or flex. I am hoping there will be enough mass there to dampen the top. I am also considering spreading the trestles to leave about 30" overhang on the ends, and adding a drop-in joist in the middle, though I would like to avoid this if possible. Any thoughts?

If it is dampened then you will have to dry it out again. How many tables this size have you built before?

I am not talking about moisture. I am talking about vibrational dampening, hoping the mass of the table top will be great enough to give it a solid feel, even though it is minimally supported. My gut says it will be okay, but yes, it is bigger than I have had experience with. I really don't want to add a center trestle.

I think you should be okay as long as your trestle ends are substantial enough. 12/4 legs? I would move them out to 30" from the ends too.

Oh, I see. You want to damp vibration. The comment about the trestles is correct. The table would benefit from center support, either triangulation to the trestles or a third trestle. Fourteen feet is a long table.

Yes, 12/4 legs. I am considering some type of center joist, or a center support that notches onto the stretcher beams.

If you don't want the look of a center post from top to stretcher, how about an apron down the center of the top 3-4 inches high, 1.5-2 inches wide. It would dampen any flexing vibrations. What is the width of this monster table?

It is going to be difficult to move a table that size unless the MC is controlled.

Yes, a center joist is something I am pondering. That may be the best insurance, and keeps the clean lines below. The width is to be 44".

This is a much smaller table but maybe something like it will work.

What you plan sounds good, but yes, you will need some sort of support in the middle, at the very least. More likely 2 places or 3. Like or similar to the pic that contributor N posted. A 12' span of a top even with 8/4 will sag in short order.