Urethanes for Deep Color

Using urethanes to achieve a deep, colored finish in a production environment - March 17, 2000

by WOODWEB's Finishing Team:
John Buries and Bob Niemeyer

Q. I'm the plant manager at a cabinet shop in Neillsville, WI call Westwood Kitchens, Inc. My top sales person wants us to introduce a line of colored wood cabinetry. I'm looking for the best possible type of finish for our shop. We have spray booths, standard and HVLP guns, and we're currently spraying pre-catalyzed lacquers and catalyzed conversions.

A. Bob Niemeyer responds: Using precats, I suggest starting with a packaged white from your current supplier. Use their recommended colorants to make pastel shades. Do the same with your conversion varnish. The best way to achieve deep colors is to use urethanes. Hoffers offers ICA products that can be tinted to any color in the NCS color system. Contact Darryl at Hoffers for more information.