Veneer Glue Thickness and Coverage

Quick tips on glue coverage and on measuring wet-mil thickness. July 28, 2006

Question
I am trying to simplify veneer glue-ups using Aliphatic Resin Glue on MDF. I would just like to know the glue spreading rate - i.e volume to area ratio - so that I can try to standardize things.

Use a tool called a wet mil gauge. It will give you the thickness of glue in mils which is what the manufacturers refer to. Not sure Aliphatic Resin is the best stuff for veneering, but that was not your question I guess.

Mil thickness for veneering is in the 4 to 8 mil range depending on your particular adhesive. A rule of thumb is that one gallon of adhesive should cover between 175 and 225 sq feet.