Whether to Finish Toe Kicks in Commercial Work

If resilient base will be applied by others after cabinets are installed, don't finish the kicks. December 27, 2008

Question
According to AWI, a toekick should be treated as an "exposed surface" if it's visible after installation. If rubber base is scheduled to be installed (by others) over the toe kick, is it to be treated as an exposed surface or not?

In that instance, we always leave it to be finished by others, but note it in our contract and drawings. Many times, we put on the finish and then they cover with whatever. Always ticks me off when that happens. Looks good and then they cover it up.

Thanks. To be more specific, I was referring more to commercial laminate cabinets. To laminate the toe or not when rubber base is planned?

I was referring to commercial laminate also. We miter the outside corners and fasten with the Grex pin nailer after applying spray-on glue. The laminate makes it hard for either rubber base or tile to adhere to the toe kick, so we leave it off when it calls for it.

Your shop drawings and contract/estimate should always read - resilient base by others. This stops it. We run ladder/pedestal boxes with 1/2" reveal over pedestal - gives somewhere to hide base.

You should not treat it as exposed if your plan states "rubber cove base by other." We deal with this in our work. We build laminate cabinets for schools and I check for that note on our prints.