Working with "Green" Wipe-On Oil Finishes

Tung oil is environmentally friendly in its own way, but drying times can be a problematic issue. July 3, 2008

I have been spraying my boxes for several years now with great success. I would like to be able to offer customers a "green" finish. Can anyone suggest a wipe on oil that would give a hard durable finish? It must have short dry time.

We have a Wipe-On Polyurethane Gel that dries to sand and recoat in 10 to 15 minutes. It is odorless and a totally "Green" finish, and should protect at least as well as any "oil type" finish.

I read your posting and Im going to assume that the products youre asking about are meant for boxes - shaker boxes to be specific. Round and square and oblong boxes most of which consist of a top. Have you tried Dura-seal oil coatings? They are formulated for wood and you can add color to the clear oils or purchase the oils in various wood tones.

They are easy to use, have a nice build up, buff out to a beautiful hand rubbed finish, drie fast, and for a box, I dont think you could go wrong.

Another type of finish you may or may not be interested in is the padding finishes offered by Mohawk or Zinsers, they are padding type finishes applied by hand and really do produce a beautiful finish. You can achieve a filled pore finish on woods like mahogany and walnut.