Adhesives

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

contact cement spraying problem

4/24/15       
Mike

Need some help. I refurbish a variety of different items with hpl. Decided to get away from brushing/rolling contact cement a few weeks ago. Did some research regarding the best/most economical way to do this. Decided to go with a pressure pot system shooting wilsonart 800. Was under the Impression that adhesive would not set up in the gun/lines for months of inactivity. However found after about a week I had a gummy buildup in the gun and hose, had to spend some time to clear this up with wa solvent. I am leaving pot pressurized all the time at approx 25 psi of air.. Any thoughts?

4/25/15       #2: contact cement spraying problem ...
Andrew J. Coholic  Member

I do mainly wood & wood veneers, so I use HPL and other materials needing CC sparingly. I tried a small pressure pot setup with the same results. Clean up was too time consuming and messy. Spraying was also a mess, even though I did it in the finishing room in the 12' paint booth.

We went to a self contained airless system (you buy pre filled tanks, similar in size to a 20lb BBQ propane tank), and a gun and hose - which gets attached and filled, and left until the tank is emptied then transferred to another tank.

With this setup you pay more for the glue, but the setup can be left pretty much indefinitely without issues. All I do is clean the nozzle with a toothbrush and some solvent and its good to go, each time, every time.

Also, the spray pattern (which is set via the nozzle you buy, much like an airless gun tip for paint) is very "clean", ie little to no glue shoots past the pattern. Easy to spray clean and without getting glue everywhere - and that is a huge plus when taking it to the job site.

like this:

http://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/category/tools-safety-and-workshop-accesso
ries/glues-silicones-caulking/contact-glues/lw-700-aerosol-glue/1021923/sku-CLW70
030LBS

The gun:

http://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/category/tools-safety-and-workshop-accessor
ies/glues-silicones-caulking/equipment-and-accessories/adjustable-flow-spray-gun-
for-glue-canisters/1021803/sku-AA23L45885

4/25/15       #3: contact cement spraying problem ...
JeffD

I spray the same as Andrew as I shoot infrequently. Pressure pot may be better for daily shooting? But for infrequent use the tanks work perfectly. I can leave the tank for months at a time, come back and start spraying. At worst I may have to use a tooth brush to clean the tip.

good luck,
JeffD

4/25/15       #4: contact cement spraying problem ...
Mike

Hmm... This seems contrary to a thread that I saw on this site.. Wish I would have gone the other way at this point and went with canister... Am thinking that I will just use small suction spray gun until I run out of wa800 and clean it after each use... Are there postformable options available in canisters?

5/6/15       #5: contact cement spraying problem ...
Robert B. Member

1. The canister glues cost a lot more per square ft because you are paying for the gas to propel the adhesive.
2. Any contact cement if not used will clog up your lines. I suggest hanging you gun up as high as possible so the glue runs down away from you gun. If you take of the air hose put a piece of tape over the connector on the pot. 3. If you are not using it for a long time then. A.start with an empty one gallon can with lid. Like a paint can. Then fill it up with WA 800. Place in in the spray pot. B. when you are down spraying take the can out of the pot and seal it. C. use another one gallon can and place WA 110 in it. Only fill it up about half way. D. Turn off the atomizing air pressure. E. make sure the fluid pressure is on. when you pull the trigger only a stream of material should come out. Like small liquid stream. F. then disconnect the air and take the empty can out. The pot will be ready for you to use next time. G. make sure the lines are empty before you start using the WA 800 again. You wouldn't want diluted glue.

5/15/15       #6: contact cement spraying problem ...
Scott Sawdust Member

We have been using the pressurized cans too. We are not making counter tops, but use it for a number of other laminating applications, including attaching fabric to panels. Sta-Put SPHS has been working well for us. Maintaining a quality spray gun and pressure pot is expensive, and becomes one more area where you have to dispense and control hazardous materials. The pressurized can, hose, and gun need virtually no attention, and the gun usually lasts for many years. You do have to dispose of the empty cans, but the scrap metal guy seems happy to take them.

5/31/15       #7: contact cement spraying problem ...
JeffD

Update….Just ran into a small hiccup on a job and needed to apply some PVC banding to a couple drawer fronts that already had press in hardware so couldn't go through the bander. Pulled out the tank which has been sitting for quite a while. 1st time I've used it this year and last time I remember using it was sometime around last September. Thought I'd have to clean off the nozzle and clear up some gunk from the line…..nope! Pulled the trigger and started spraying without a hitch!

I've used the Sta-Put in the past and it worked well for me. I haven't been able to get it anymore so am using a similar product by 3M.

good luck,
JeffD

6/15/15       #8: contact cement spraying problem ...
Dustin

If your needs are occasional consider disposables, too -- we don't use them here in the shop. (We use Wilsonart 801 in a pressure pot.) But we spray daily! However, for field use and to simplify the paperwork we use disposable cans. It's easy enough to spray a half a can or a can and a half, saving the remainder for the next project. Right now the product of choice is 3M Spray 20 because it meets the air quality restrictions in southern California and sticks fairly well.

Amazon link to the disposable cans

8/6/15       #9: contact cement spraying problem ...
Bruce H

I have used the same pressure pot for more than twenty years. Only cleaned it a few times and sometimes it sits a month or so between uses. I take the air cap off and make sure it is clean, pressurize the pot and spray. Occasionally I might cycle the glue in the lines back thru the pot, usually not. If the glue has been it the pot a long time I might add a little thinner to reduce the viscosity. Basically it works. I tried the canister, never got it to work right so put it and the gun into the dumpster.

8/7/15       #10: contact cement spraying problem ...
chip geffre Member

My experience is the same as Bruces.
Same pressure pot and hoses, can't remember ever having to clean the lines out.
The only maintenance is keeping the tip clean with a paint brush and a little lacquer thinner.
Still works perfectly. I consider the prefilled tanks very expensive compared to filling my own tank.

8/7/15       #11: contact cement spraying problem ...
Scott Sawdust

Maybe Bruce and Chip could share the exact product type and number of something that lasts in the pot and hoses. Many of us gave up on this because the glue solidified in one end or the other of our pots and hoses.
I too started off thinking good reuseable equipment would be economical, but by the third time you clean it out, your savings have just disappeared.
(I posted earlier here that I use the disposable canisters)

8/7/15       #12: contact cement spraying problem ...
Dustin

Part numbers: We spray Wilsonart 800 (red) or 801 (clear) glue from the 5-gallon pails, a quart at a time in a Harbor Freight industrial paint spray gun, HF # 43670 which we get on sale for ~$15 each. Eventually, the needle valves begin to blowby air or the posts that allow the cap to screw down on the pot bend and the pots need to be replaced. I would say we get 2 years of daily use. Air comes off the compressor at 70 PSI ; rarely, but occasionally, we'll thin the glue a bit with some DT0402 lacquer thinner. This is our daily glue for HPL to a PB substrate and we don't have problems with the glue drying over the weekends. There is no line with glue in it.

Hose-free spray solution from harbor fre

8/7/15       #13: contact cement spraying problem ...
chip geffre Member

I have used both Formica sprayable red
solvent based contact cement as well as "950 Wilsonart sprayable" aggressive tack red contact cement. I always bought it in 5's and either one worked great. Neither ever separated in the lines.
There was never any flushing or cleaning involved with the lines, the most important thing was to keep a small container of thinner and a small brush to keep the tip of the gun clean.
I always used an inexpensive paint gun head, solvent resistant hoses are a must when setting this unit up. The paint pressure pot usually was from Sears or harbor freight. they all worked fine.
We have sprayed many 1000's of feet of laminate using this method. The only problems we ever experienced was when somebody decided to "take the spray head apart to clean it." This can get real messy in short order there is no reason short of a bad, leaking seal for gun dis-assembly. Think of the whole system as sealed and as long as it stays sealed it isn't problematic. If we haven't sprayed for a few days we will top off the the tank (2/3's full is the most you should fill this unit at a a time) and give it a quick stir, but generally these sprayables don't separate enough to be noticeable.
Here is the PDF for Wilsonart sprayable.

Wilsonart sprayable PDF with product #s

8/7/15       #14: contact cement spraying problem ...
Bruce H

I get my contact glue from Louis & Company and use whatever they are promoting. Currently it is Formica #156 clear, 5 gallon container. I have a two gallon pot I bought in the dark ages when Western Auto went out of business, paid $25.00 and am still using it. I do have short hoses (3/8" x 8') but that is because I had them and Sherwin Williams can't seem to get it together and send the correct hoses when ordered. My hoses are as old as the tank. Someday I'll push them and get a new set a bit longer. I bought a Binks gun and fluid needle sized for what I was spraying when I got the pot. It's a little beat up but works.

8/9/15       #15: contact cement spraying problem ...
JeffD

Sounds like guys who are using contact daily which may make a difference? If you guys re-read the original post the OP is an occasional user, (like myself), whose pot sits unused for months at a time. I don't know about PP's but the canister can sit on my shelf for a year without being used and still spray fine. And for the amount of use in my shop a canister easily lasts several years.

good luck,
JeffD

5/6/18       #16: contact cement spraying problem ...
O

Check your hose. contact glue should flow through a liquid hose(usually Black) not an air hose(usually Red)

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)