Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Stumped on math.

3/9/21       
Mike

I am trying to figure out the spacing between spindles and how many spindles I will need for a staircase. The opening from the Newel post at the top to the newel post at the bottom is 89 5/8. The measurement that is horizontally between the two is the 89 5/8. I need to use 1-1/2” spindles for this job. Code is spindles must be spaced apart 4 inches or less in between, so I’m trying to figure out how many spindles I need and what the spacing will be between the spindles at the dimension of 89 5/8. I’m tired of doing it the crude way and that is taking 1.5 times whatever amount of spindles I think might go in there and then reversing it back to do the math from there.

Help! (Pulling my hair out)

Thx!!

3/9/21       #2: Stumped on math. ...
Leo G Member

1÷((1+4.5)÷89.625)=16.3

So 17 spindles.

3/10/21       #3: Stumped on math. ...
Mike

Leo. Care to explain what u did and how u came up with it?

3/10/21       #4: Stumped on math. ...
Leo G Member

oops

1÷((1.5+4.5)÷89.625)=16.3

Take the spindle and add it to the spacing you require and divide it by the spacing you have. Then take the reciprocal of the number and you have you spacing.

3/10/21       #5: Stumped on math. ...
Mike

I unfortunately rely on autocad to do my math for me.

I don’t understand what the 4.5 is for.

Code is, doesn’t matter what the spacing is, as long as it doesn’t exceed 4” in between.

So if you can dummy it down when u explain the math, I’d appreciate it. The space turned out to be 88.8125. I had the dimension snapped wrong

It turns out i needed 16 spindles, with the space between being 3-13/16”

Will u pls show me how, why and the written out version of math, vs (what’s in parentheses goes first)

Thx

3/10/21       #6: Stumped on math. ...
Leo G Member

Arrrggg... This is what happens when I work 12 hour days.

1÷((1.5+4)÷89.625)=16.3

---------------------------------------------------------
((Spindle Width + Spacing width)/total width

3/10/21       #7: Stumped on math. ...
Leo G Member

Fine, make me do it the hard way forum..

LOL

View higher quality, full size image (1024 X 491)

3/10/21       #8: Stumped on math. ...
Sam

If it were me, I'd use a Git-R-Done approach for this one
and markup a sheet of plywood using the technique in the
image below, adjusting the divisor until the spacing between
spindles was just less then 4 inches.

Might not be as impressive as deciphering the formula
offered, but for me, it'd be far less prone to error.

View higher quality, full size image (459 X 155)

3/10/21       #9: Stumped on math. ...
Mark B Member

I use Leo's method in the shop and a modified version of Sam's method in the field with a tape measure.

You can also use something like this

https://www.blocklayer.com/baluster-spacing-eng.aspx

3/10/21       #10: Stumped on math. ...
Keith Newton

Put all your fancy software away and use your head. A typical rise run ration is 7.5" rise and 11" run. Two at 1.5" = 3"
11'' - 3 = 8", so 2 per tread ought to do it, so just count the number of treads and multiply x 2 ought to be something you can keep under your hat and figure at a glance.

Then if the stairs are open ended treads, then balusters end on the tread, so start with one 2" each side of the center measured back from the nose of the tread.

Although I think 3 per tread is a better look if it's your choice.

3/10/21       #11: Stumped on math. ...
Nicko Member

Down load the BalusterPro app on your phone. I use it all the time for spacing balusters and anything that needs equal spacing. It will even call out the measurements to you as you mark them down.

Nicko

3/10/21       #12: Stumped on math. ...
Mike

While I appreciate the different in sights, I really need someone to break the mathematics down for me without the parentheses.

I know how to divide something evenly, but I really want to know the mathematical equation behind finding out how many spindles and what the dimension in between each of them will be without gassing it on a whim and backtracking

3/11/21       #13: Stumped on math. ...
Matt Calnen

I can’t believe I’m replying to this one but...

88 13/16 divided by 5 1/2”(which is your max space and spindle width) gives you 16.something, telling you you need 16 spindles.

16 times your spindle width of 1 1/2” is 24”, or the space they will occupy.

88 13/16” minus the 24” of spindles equals 64 13/16” of space between the spindles.

Divide the 64 13/16” by 17(spaces needed) gets you 3 13/16” of space between spindles!

3/11/21       #14: Stumped on math. ...
Mike

Matt, that’s EXACTLY what I wanted to know! THANK YOU! (Ex) 88-13/16 / 5.5

That’s where I was stuck.

3/11/21       #15: Stumped on math. ...
Keith Newton

Well,,,, Yes, but you make no mention of where the top and bottom newels are on their respective treads so you may end up with some of your balusters being centered on the drop from the nose of one tread down to the next. I still would think about finding the center of the treads from nose to nose, and see how that works out at each end relative to the newels. Having a bit less than 4" on each end isn't a problem. The location of the newels at each end is a variable you have not shared with anyone, unless I missed that.

Before you start cutting and drilling, if that is part of it, I would start by measuring over level from the top of the bottom newel to a tread to see where they fall, relative to the ones lower down. Your really going to be pulling your hair out if you find those numbers have some balusters trying to be half over the nose of a tread due to creep because it doesn't match up to the tread length. Do you understand my concern?

3/11/21       #16: Stumped on math. ...
Mike

I do Keith. Even tho I did it the long way math wise, it all worked out in the drawing acad. i just wanted to know a faster way of determining how many spindles, based upon the required spacing and Matt’s formula was exactly what I needed

3/11/21       #17: Stumped on math. ...
David R Sochar Member

Not so fast........ If you are using something like a 5015, with 1-1/4" square base and a 7/8" taper turned top, then the calculations need to be made at the top of the spindles, using 7/8" and 4". Not 1-1/4". That 3/8" can cause a lot of misery.

And, sidebar here. The spindles do not locate off the center of a tread. The front face of the spindle needs to be aligned with the face of the riser and the outside face of the spindle base needs to be aligned with the skirt board or bracket.

The photo is a good example of what NOT to do. That first spindle is pushed out to the start of the bullnose, and looks like it is out in space instead of bearing the load directly.

View higher quality, full size image (720 X 491)

3/11/21       #18: Stumped on math. ...
Mike

David, the treads have nothing to do with this situation, as there is a board that rides on top of the stringer that the spindles nail to on the angle.

3/11/21       #19: Stumped on math. ...
Keith Newton

David has got that right. However it would have been nice to know you were using a closed end treads when you ask the question.

3/11/21       #20: Stumped on math. ...
Mike

Sorry Keith. I tried to post a picture from my iPhone, but it says it is too big and I don’t know how to resize it to allow it to let me post it. I don’t know why they have a file restrictions set to such a small file size

3/11/21       #21: Stumped on math. ...
Scott

I could be wrong , but I think David was saying if at some point the spindle is 7/8 diameter, you need 4 inches between the narrowest part of the spindle. So if you have 4 inches at the bottom you would have an opening of 4 3/4 at the narrowest part of the spindle, which would not meet code. A child could maybe fit their head through the wider spot?

3/15/21       #22: Stumped on math. ...
David R Sochar Member

You are correct Scott. That difference is real, and can cause real problems. Given the freedom of a curbed stair, spindle placement is more critical.

I mentioned the placement since it was incorrectly stated by an earlier responder.

3/18/21       #23: Stumped on math. ...
Steve Member

Ok, as pointed out, the placement of the spindles is critical if your stairs are like the pic posted, e.g. placement on each step. But the OP does not state, what if the construction is similar to this pic (sorry my nomenclature on stair parts is deficient) in which they are evenly spaced regardless of each step?

3/18/21       #24: Stumped on math. ...
Steve Member

Mike, in order to change the file size of your iPhone pic, google "how to change file size of iPhone pictures". That will list numerous articles and sites to show you.

Or, simply forward it to yourself (email) and edit it likety split in Preview/change size.

8/19/21       #25: Stumped on math. ...
ian

Simple way to wrap your head around it, extend the length so it becomes a straight run, remove the angle of the stairs from the picture.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!