Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Exterior door panel construction

9/30/21       
Dave

Greetings.
I am in a bit of a bind and am looking for input/advice on exterior door construction. To preface I have spent 5-6 hours on the forums/knowledge base reading prior exterior door posts and have gotten a lot of information. I have an interior designer who has contacted me about building an exterior door. I am a cabinet/furniture/cnc guy and so not an experienced door maker. The problem is that this is the second time that this interior designer has contacted me about doing something and I said no the first time as that project was outside of my wheelhouse. I really would like to get in with her as she is well known and doing quite well, and if I say no a second time, I don't think I will hear from her again. So, to me, the opportunity outweighs the risks. That said it seems to be a pretty straightforward door. 2-8x6'8x1-3/4 frame and panel. Bottom, middle, top rail. 2 panels. There is a 'speakeasy' (non-functioning) window in top panel with a brass 'porthole' look so this is definitely custom. My thought had been to do a stave core of plywood (CDX or radiata) laminated similar to the timberstrand/LVL concept, but I don't see anyone doing that on here so now I am thinking just using Sapele for stave core and edging/veneering with white oak. Using shop sawn 1/8"-5/32 veneer. I would use either Urea resin or Epoxy for all glue joints. Simple T&G cope and stick profile which I would be adding dowels to reinforce at joints. The panels are going to be reeded texture with rabbets to fit into the grooves of rails and stiles. I have seen reference to panels being made with 5-7 ply construction. Can someone expand on that method? Or for this size door should I do separate interior/exterior panels solid oak and separate with plywood? I assume that the panels would not be glued to the plywood. I would just be making the slab. This is being installed in an existing door jamb by others. I appreciate the advice, and do understand the risks. Thanks as always.
Dave

9/30/21       #2: Exterior door panel construction ...
John Member

If you are going to use white oak veneer then I would use white oak for the stave core as well. Use plain sawn for the stave core and quartersawn for the veneer and everything will have the same orientation once married. Another approach is to use two or three layer solid wood for the stiles/rails. If you can get quality stock this would be easier and faster.

Either glue you propose would work well. I use Plastic Resin Glue for the stave core and veneer and epoxy for the joints. I prefer loose tenons for the joinery because I'm set up to cut the mortises but dowels work well, too.

I use separate panels for the outside and inside, back to back. That way, both panels can better accommodate seasonal expansion/contraction. If you separate the panels with plywood definitely do not glue them to it. Personally, I don't see the rational for that approach. I'd rather have thicker solid panels.

Do you know where the door will be located? N, S, E, W. Covered by a porch? Direct sun? Storm door? Make sure you know who's on the hook if something goes wrong.

Good luck.

John

10/1/21       #3: Exterior door panel construction ...
Kevin Dunphy

In Canada doors like that wouldn't last .I know David will chime in hands down best doors and experience .

If your not set up with a shaper , I mortise and tendon simple joinery time proven

The other thing is I laminate 3 pieces of 4/4 together makes for a 2 1/4 thick door will not warp also feel really solid on a ball bearing hinge

Stave seem like so much work and expoxy etc a lot that can go wrong

10/1/21       #4: Exterior door panel construction ...
Dave

John
Thanks for the response. I have seen some comments on the 2 ply vs 3 ply for R&S. For a 1-3/4" thick door would 2 ply be better? I assume that the boards would need to be quartersawn. I am waiting to hear back from the designer on sun/rain exposure. I am guessing that I would be on the hook if the door warps. I will at least have that conversation with her about wood doors.
Kevin
Since it is an existing door, I am stuck with 1-3/4" thick. Would you do a 2ply or 3 ply with that thickness?
Thanks

10/1/21       #5: Exterior door panel construction ...
RichC

I would never do an unbalanced lamination of even number of plies. I might add that learning the entire process of making entrance doors from a forum will be difficult. You didn't answer the question of the position of the door. Frame and panel doors that are exposed to direct rain can easily have a rotting problem from water seeping into the panel groove and soaking into the end grain of the panel.

10/1/21       #6: Exterior door panel construction ...
Kevin Dunphy

3 ply no question you have a sandwich cabinetmaking 101 ,even going to 1 3/4 you will get it lazer flat lots of meat .

Glue I found out the hard way Tribound 11 failed it happened on my personal door .The joints get soft and open up once it gets wet when that happens the door is finished

I use Elmers exterior an underrated glue great for open pores like Mahgonay the glue is thick realy gets into the pores

10/1/21       #7: Exterior door panel construction ...
John Member

In laminated stiles and rails all the plies run in the same direction so it's balanced no matter the number of plies. I don't think it matters whether you use 2 or 3 plies. As long as your wood is quarter or rift sawn and laid up as mirror images the glued up sections will be fine. In any case, you should check with the designer about the exposed edges of the stiles. If a glue line in the center for 2 layer construction or 2 glue lines for 3 layer are unacceptable then you will need to mill a dado and glue in a thin section of wood so that it looks like a veneered door.

M&T, loose tenons, dowels - with epoxy or UF glues all will give a durable door if the workmanship is good.

John

10/2/21       #8: Exterior door panel construction ...
David R Sochar Member

First bit of advice is to hire an experienced door maker unless this is your door or that of a friend. Your inexperience shows when you state that you might be on the hook if the door warps. Yes, is the answer.
2 ply or 3 ply stiles and rails do not matter, but you want solid since it is less parts to make.
Mortise and tenon is the only way to make doors, in my opinion. Cope and stick with appropriate tooling. Dowels are OK if you have the competent machinery to make the accuracy. Do the math on glue surface to see how the two methods compare. Glue surface is what you want.
Panels? After 50 years, I have given up on all the tricks, voodoo, and crossed fingers. I build a panel with a man made core, usually 1/4", then a ply of solid wood on either side of the core, to raise. Then a cross band of veneer on top of the solid, with grain at 90 degrees to the solid. Then a face ply running the same direction as the solid. Press them all up, with epoxy, and then size and raise. These panels are plywood, and can be glued into the frames. Honestly.

There are degrees of door building. Most methods have one or more serious flaws in their methodology.

10/2/21       #9: Exterior door panel construction ...
Adam

Read my comments in the previous thread about 2 vs 3. Its not real.

Like David we experimented over the years with various ideas. We settled on effectively the same as David. Shop made plywood. If you aren't using epoxy for all of the joints in an exterior door the onus is on you to argue against. People have been building boats out of epoxy for 40 years.

10/4/21       #10: Exterior door panel construction ...
aj

Absolutely DO NOT face glue solid laminations to make an exterior door, or any door for that matter!!

I suspect any good suitable wood ripped and flipped would make a good core, edge with your oak and glue your 1/8" faces. We personally use a finger-jointed western pine for our core. Any good type 1 exterior glue would suffice as long as you can machine accurately for good bonding. Yes dowels are perfectly acceptable, NO you don't have to mortise and tenon.

Let your inside and outside panels float, once again good practices as to panel staves and machining will dictate success. I do like to seal the end grain of my panels prior to construction. On a 1-3/4 door it may be difficult but a 4mm plywood between the panels is also a nice, floating also of course.

As for epoxy, if you have one door and it will get your juices flowing go for it. Otherwise I think your wasting time and money, at maximum a good urea resin is more than ever needed.

As with any door, exposure to elements and quality of finish are also huge factors in it's success. Whenever someone says they "need" to replace their front door I ask why, amazing how many applications aren't suitable for a wood door.

10/6/21       #11: Exterior door panel construction ...
David R Sochar Member

As you can see, opinions vary widely, and there are expectations of choosing sides. If you do build the door, you will be expected to resolve any problems with it.
I suggest you let science and experience help you determine how you work, rather than emotion and volume.

10/6/21       #12: Exterior door panel construction ...
Kevin Dunphy

How it started with me using 3 pieces of 4/4 was by accident I couldn’t get locally at the time 8/4 .So I lamented 3 pieces and ended up 2.5 thick also I was able to use a full ¾ thick panel with no lamination most time through a small lift of African Mahogany you can find a 14 wide board .
The door looked impressive with extra ¾ thickness I used 4 ball bearing hinges and the door was solid a pleasure to open felt safe .

When I open my door I did not try and compete with pizza box makers I tried to rise above the mass produce .Its worked but in these parts its getting hard because Contractor are making decision on interior so that means cheap the big houses look empty and dead .

Also I had my start in antiques in Montreal lots of history with craftsman’s unreal work there .Doors 100 years ago were mass producing doors out of wood with through mortise and tendon in houses outside inside you name it ,it was no mystery how they were made .I restored a couple of the exterior door I would take a door down and barley carry it .Were forgetting how to make things out of wood .

10/6/21       #14: Exterior door panel construction ...
Dave

I appreciate all of the responses. Adam I read the previous post regarding 2 ply vs 3. I assume that all of these plys are riftsawn?
Thanks.

10/9/21       #15: Exterior door panel construction ...
Adam

Dave,

I described the 2 or 3 piece stiles in terms of face sawn. Rift sawn is not common except for red oak and sapele. Maybe a few others, but not commonly used in door construction.

qtr white oak is irrelevant because of its inherent stability.

The most common flat sawn doors would be cherry, maple, fas mahogany, and Spanish cedar.

Maple is only sap wood. Cherry trees are tiny and only heart wood. You are only using flat sawn for doors.

Once again laminated door stiles are not the same as panels of various materials or thin veneers like plywood. It is not the same problem. Apples & oranges.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!