Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Glueing formica to old formica situation

5/15/21       
Richard Member

I work on Yachts.
Have a situation with some horizontal interior surfaces of odd shapes need HPL glued over existing HPL.
Two things are of concern:
1. The best product for adhesion strength
wise that will also withstand heat from
the southern sun beating on it.
2. The areas are recessed down in with a
Teak border around them. Need an
adhesive other than contact cement
that will provide movement and at least
a few minute set time allowing correct
positioning.
The 6 areas vary in size and shape and are from 1.5 sq.ft. to 10 sq.ft. and all are
odd shapes.

5/15/21       #2: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
CGiles

I would call Jamestown Distributers for advise on this. They specialize in all things boats and yacht supplies. I get my Epifanes marine poly from them.

5/15/21       #3: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Al

3m makes double sided tape in different widths. The roll I have is 48” wide. I would peel a small section and stick it and then pull off backer. I think they use this stuff to apply some of the body trims on cars.

5/15/21       #4: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Mark B Member

Why wouldnt you just epoxy it down like everythung else on a yacht/boat deck. Seems obvious. Now HPL may be a concerning choice for a "yacht" but i guess it is what it is.

5/15/21       #6: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Richard Member

Jamestown would not know, double sided tape is questionable for endurance and epoxy is a thought but would hace to vacuum press each piece so a bit of an ordeal....no way to weight it to make sure it would have even adheshion. Thinking I could use epoxy and mix it a little hot, roll it for 15 minutes and hope it kicks.

Old 80's Grand Banks 42, formica on there now, owner doesn't want to rip everything apart fo solid surface.

5/15/21       #7: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
pat s gilbert

Richard if you do use a vacuum bag, get the laminate with a peal coat. And use the stuff that distributes the vacuum. Getting the glue off the laminate is a real PIA

I assume you can take the tops out of the boat?

Maybe just take some marine grade plywood down to a laminator and have them use a water proof glue instead of the usual PVA.

Use the old tops for a template?

Now it is your turn to tell me how that won't work (8^l)

5/16/21       #8: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Richard Member

Still working on it!
A tops (horizontal surfaces) are getting covered over, a lot of pattern making. What i normally do is make a stick pattern, from that make a 1/4" ply pattern ( and check it for fit) and overlay an oversized rough cut laminate to it (using double sided tape) rin the flush cut bit around with the trimmer.

The tops can not come out and there is a fiddle those, some are hinged and lift up so I removed them and take them to the shop.

The choice by the owner is not available with peel coat, there is also a problem that it can't squeeze up the sides where it meets either.

The ones with the fiddle (which can't be removed) are the problem. The laminate has to fit exactly down between and fiddles and around other things with no addtional trim. No chance to be taken trying to use contact, it's a one shot deal, if off by 1/32" when starts to go down it's satrting over with a mess.

Now the thought once i find the right adhesive is to use the 1/4" ply pattern on top and weight it down all over with ??

Put some photos in. been doint this stuff 40 years and this is a tough one, figure it out sooner or later.

View higher quality, full size image (640 X 480)

5/16/21       #9: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Richard Member

Need to also fit around all those guages...I know how to pattern around them for an exact fit ( they can't come out without a lot of time and work.)

Maybe somebody has a better idea that I. I figure it would take me 4 hours to make the piece to go in there. 12 to remove them all and get the piece in and put it all back together.

5/16/21       #10: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
David R Sochar Member

Your last post, with the photo of all the fittings that the HPL has to 'fit over' did it for me.

That simply is not reasonable to ask of any craftsman. If it is a lot of work to remove the fittings, so be it. It is a lot of work.

He is asking you to jump into a job that cannot be done well or even satisfactorily, and is hoping you will save him some money by sweating details that cannot be resolved.

Hell, man you are smarter than that, eh?

5/16/21       #11: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
james e mcgrew  Member

I took my old top off and used it as a template I hada areas in the top but i wanted a more permanent solution so i used a solid Phenolic (Learn solid surface in case you may know how already) these kinds of boats need to hold value, I know I have owned several, I was a Boatswains Mate in the USN working on Admirals Yachts and moved to private Yachts for ten Years Ended up developing the Crown Bay Marina in St Thomas (Google it) And Returned to the US in 1985 and most here Know my story till now.

Consider a new substrate of a better long term use with out rot like exteria or marine ply (seal all edges and sides.

I have some sheets of 3/4 phenolic left from a Change order that the client changed and left me with a few thousand bucks worth (We get lucky sometimes.

I love renovating boats, i sailed a good 200 k in KMs before i came ashore and now at 65 have rekindled my Love

I will install the new counters next week

Good luck and if i can hel feel free 1

5/16/21       #12: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
james e mcgrew  Member

Did not see your second Post,, Now i see what you are dealing with

5/16/21       #13: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
pat s gilbert

Dave said what I was thinking

Even if he willing to pay to the moon
and then only if he is willing to take the tops out

This is no way you can win doing this job

5/16/21       #14: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
pat s gilbert

Since you're probably going to do this job anyway

You might consider sticks that go to the ceiling that spring into place and put pressure down on the laminate

Your method of making a template will work if you take your time

At least tell the customer that you have to caulk between the Formica and wood

Talk to West Systems on the adhesive

5/16/21       #16: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Richard  Member

well for many reasons none of the above won't work:
The tops can not come out, just the area forward or the help is a few weeks work at least.

Epoxy does not stick to HPL well even if you rough it up. Basically plastic.

Can not press it down from the ceiling... headliner is perfect, would not take the chance.

Too bad solid surface is not available in Indigo, the choice of the owner ( long story). And forward of the helm and all the 6 pieces that lift into storage and some sliding companion way panels are also a problem..solid surface is out.

I have had this pattern thing down for years, no problem with that and making things fit right on.

No fillers or caulk allowed ( just my standards)

The main problem at this point is adhesive. What can you stick HPL to existing HPL ???

View higher quality, full size image (480 X 640)

5/16/21       #18: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
cabinetmaker

Rough up the Plam well.

I usually use poster board for exact templates with some hot glue as it usually wraps like very grade.

Titebond 2 with some contact. Contact will hold until the tightbond sets up

5/17/21       #19: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Kevin Dunphy

I've been down that road before .I did the bow of the boat all the side panels and ceiling it was an insurance job.
A boat that size is hard to work in trying to repair doesn't go well , I think replaced or nothing everything looks very old its beyound its life .The problem with boats that size the owners have egos the size of the Queen Mary they think there seasoned Captains know everything about boats

5/17/21       #20: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Gary Balcom

Doesn’t wilsonart have a line that is made for this? I think it’s called re-cover, and is basically peel and stick laminate.

But, I’m with the others, doesn’t look like a job that your likely to come out on top.

5/17/21       #21: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Bruce H

Even if you fit it perfect and get glued to the old surface it is only stuck as well as the original surface was stuck. That is going to be your weak link. Laminate is made from paper and expands and contracts just like wood. If your substrate doesn't move at the same rate as the laminate it simply shears the glue line.

5/17/21       #22: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Richard  Member

Gary: I have used that before, it does nor permit time for positioning which I would need in the particular situation. If it's off by 1/32" I would have to start over. Re-Cover is just a sticky as contact.

5/17/21       #23: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Richard  Member

I get that, I have a solution once I come up with the correct adhesive.
I found so far that a Melamine to Phenolic glue would work the best ( ROO GLUE CLEAR).

As far as the movement the ROO is not rigid and should have enough give to assure adhesion according to the enginner at Choice Brands who supplies adhesives for Formica.
I ordered some and some Titebond for Melamine and will do a couple test to see
how they work.
I'm in Florida so between the hot sun and the refrigerator & freezer I can put the sample to the test.

Will post the results. with both sides roughed up with 40 grit it ought to work.

5/18/21       #25: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Jeff

Sounds to me like you are in the wrong business. I would look for a different line of work.

5/19/21       #26: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Adam Spees

40 grit? That is gravel glued to paper. Epoxy likes 80 grit. I would guess that Roo doesn't care.

12hrs to remove a bunch of gauges and drill some holes? 4 hrs to try to exactly fit it? I would take out the gauges.

1/32" tolerances everywhere sounds a bit over the top.

"I work on Yachts" as your opening line is like saying I'm a neurosurgeon and I only do the absolute best work possible by a mortal.

I would consider West System G/flex. It's designed for odd materials like plastic. Give the Gougeon tech guys a call. Jamestown is simply a distributer. At the very least buy some and do a peel test with some laminate. You will no doubt find some use for g/flex in your future.

The Roo melamine stuff is good for melamine, so it should be okay to stick two pieces of roughed laminate together.

5/20/21       #27: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Dave L

Roo is water based a needs one surface that can absorb/transfer out the water.

5/21/21       #28: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Tom Gafgen

I've seen laminate stuck on over old laminate with construction adhesive and a notched trowel.

5/21/21       #29: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Josh Koschak

You could sub out to a laser scanning company to scan the surfaces that need recovering. They can then turn the scan in to a flat layout ready to cut the new material out by cnc. Then all you need to do is adhere the new laminate down. We have an Artec Leo handheld 3D laser scanner at work and use it for designing molds for urethane parts, the technology is incredible.

6/5/21       #30: Glueing formica to old formica situ ...
Richard  Member

Solution is found and it was right in front of me and no one even though of it.

I use "Heat Lock" when I do veneering that can't be clamped or fit in a vacuum bag.

I did some samples and the things come out rock solid, you can not get it apart.

Sometimes you just "can't see the forest for the trees"

I bet someone Googles Heat Lock,
I've been using it for years. Best thing since sliced bread.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Cab Parts
      Pre-manufactured Components for Easy-to-Assemble Cabinet Boxes
    • Parts Cutter CNC
      CNC Cabinetry and Closet Parts
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • American Vision Cabinets
      Leading provider of Custom CNC cabinet parts and components and Edge banding services
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Supergrit Abrasives
      Industrial Quality Abrasives Manufactured by Leading US and Foreign Companies
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers
    • WOODWEB, Inc.
      The Information Resource for the Woodworking Industries
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • KCD Software
      Powerful 3D Cabinet/Closet Design Software with Built-In Touchscreen Mode for Mobile Use with Best Production Practices Including Direct to Cut List, Cabinotch and/or CNC Machining
    • American National Knife
      Manufacturer of HSS and Carbide Tipped Woodworking Knife Sets for Planers, Jointers, Molders, Shapers
    • Sandman Products
      Affordable Sanding Tables and Inspection Lighting
    • Wood Doctor's Rx, LLC
      Wood Processing Seminars, Kiln Operators Seminar & Training, and Advanced Drying Evaluation & Training

Become a Sponsor today!