Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Question....

9/30/20       
stan merritt  Member

Directions for air pressure for a product I use is to use 30 lbs atomizing air pressure. Is that the same thing as 30 psi ?? I don't recall any product calling for that much air if it's the same as psi. I'm using a 12:1 ratio air assisted airless and also a 14:1 at other times if that helps. Thanks in advance.

10/1/20       #2: Question.... ...
herb johnson

Directions for air pressure for a product I use is to use 30 lbs atomizing air pressure. Is that the same thing as 30 psi

two different things, , your spec sheet is most likely referring to someone using the old style air atomizing gun like a devilbiss jga gun or a binks 2001 gun or binks 7 gun.

old school but servicable guns. now new world which is what you are using is air assisted airless and we use terms like hydraulic pressure for atomizing pressure, i.e. pump pressure say you have a 10-1 pump x incoming pump pressure of 50 psi ergo you have 500 psi of hydraulic atomizing pressure.

what i would do is contact your material mfg for clarification because i believe they are referring to old school air atomized pressure ratings not new age hvlp or air assisted pressure recommendations.

hope this helps

good luck
herb j.

10/1/20       #3: Question.... ...
Leo G Member

If they stated that in reference to a AAA then yes, the 30lbs would be 30psi. If they didn't state that it was for a AAA then it might be or it might be Herb's answer.

Spray it and see how it lays out. Adjust it until you like it. Instructions are a starting point, real life determines what your settings will actually be.

10/2/20       #4: Question.... ...
stan merritt  Member

Thanks for the response guys. I'll quote what was said as it seems to be talking about air assisted airless since is suggesting 420 lbs fluid pressure. The product is M L Campbell pigmented conversion varnish.

" It is also recommended to use 30 lbs atomizing air pressure and 420 lbs
fluid pressure to achieve maximum results.

10/2/20       #5: Question.... ...
mastercabman Member

Stan
Which product from MLC are you using?

10/2/20       #6: Question.... ...
Leo G Member

Well if it's Stealth I usually use 40psi fluid, 22 psi air with a 12-174 and 06-114 tips. I thin the Stealth 20% with a thinner mixture of 1/3 Flow enhancer #2 and 2/3 Reducer.

I make a batch of the thinner mixture and put it into it's own can and just pour out of that at the 20% thinning rate.

10/2/20       #7: Question.... ...
mastercabman Member

I checked my MLC chart and if using stealth
If using a CAT 14/1 pump with a 409 tip
Air pressure 15-18 psi
Fluid pressure 560 psi or 40 psi at regulator

10/2/20       #8: Question.... ...
stan merritt  Member

mastercabman....
The product I'm talking about is Turino.

10/3/20       #9: Question.... ...
mastercabman Member

The product I'm talking about is Turino

Must be a recent product
Don't have it on my chart and I got it about 5 years ago

Best thing to do it's to call MLC directly
Let them know what equipment you're using

10/3/20       #10: Question.... ...
DannyB Member

Turino is a fairly new product (last year i think).

It's a pigmented post-cat with a 24 hour pot-life.
See here: https://www.mlcampbell.com/product/turino-pigmented-conversion-varnish/

It does suggest 30 psi atomizing air pressure, 420psi fluid pressure (after compression) for a AAA.

Those are the same settings that ML Campbell suggests for Stealth (after 25% suggested reduction).

Turino suggests only 5% reduction, but otherwise seems like the settings people use for stealth might be a good starting point.

10/3/20       #11: Question.... ...
stan merritt  Member

Thanks for the responses good people. I was having trouble with orange peel and doing some reading about the Turino when I read the 30 PSI and hadn't used anything that suggested that much air pressure. I was able to get a pretty good coat on today by using 10% reducer and 15% flow enhancer 1. But perhaps I can increase the air pressure and do away with some of the air pressure?? What do you all think about that??

10/3/20       #12: Question.... ...
stan merritt  Member

"But perhaps I can increase the air pressure .... and do away with some of the reducer and flow enhancer??

Edited to make sense hopefully. :)

10/4/20       #13: Question.... ...
Daniel Shafner Member

I use Turino often. It's my go-to pigmented coating in light & pastel colors. I add 10% catalyst - of course! - and I add 10% reducer. I don't add Flow Out Enhancer #2 unless I'm fearful of pinholes, and so far, no need for it.

In the 14:1 C.A.Technologies pump I dial in 40 for the fluid pressure and 23 lbs air pressure. I use a 611 tip and also a 411 tip.

In the Graco Merkur ES 30:1 pump I dial in 30 for fluid pressure and 23 psi air pressure. I use an M411 tip, an M509 tip, and an M611 tip.

The air pressure is only to get rid of the tails on your spray fan. Atomization of your finish comes from the fluid being squeezed through the tip's orifice.

It would be better to dial in your settings by learning to see your burst of spray, dialing in a good looking pattern and then using your air settings to get rid of your tails. For example, you don't want a pattern that looks like drops of rain. Therefore, kick up the fluid pressure for finer atomization. And then adjust your air to get rid of the tails.

Recently, MLC developed a clear stain base in Turino for mixing in dark colors. The stuff doesn't want to dry. What a nightmare.

Turino conversion varnish in light colors is wonderful to use. Here's a huge advantage of MLC over Axalta and other mfg's: no dwell time (sweating in time) with the use of catalyst. Catalyze your coating, mix it well, and start shooting. Other mfg's need a 10 - 20 minute wait time for the catalyst to start to kick their coating.

Spraying Resistant is like spraying rubber. Spraying Stealth is ok, but it uses irs own reducer, not the standard lacquer thinner. It doesn't have a 24 hour pot life. Plus, like Resistant, it's thick out of the can.

Turino is our default non-yellowing CV. Resistant can yellow over time. It's not non-yellowing.

10/4/20       #14: Question.... ...
Leo G Member

Stealth uses it's own reducer is a new one on me. I use all the standard thinners with Stealth. I have found a mixture of #2 and reducer work the best for me.

Please explain.

10/4/20       #15: Question.... ...
stan merritt  Member

Daniel Schafner....

Is the 23 psi for air pressure before or after triggering??

Thanks everyone!!!

10/4/20       #16: Question.... ...
Leo G Member

Air pressure should always be with the trigger pulled. We can't know what pressure drops you'll have over the run of pipe in your air system.

10/4/20       #17: Question.... ...
stan merritt  Member

Leo G
Makes sense to me.
My air pressure drop while triggering is about 3.5 million PSI. I live so far back in the "holler" that I have to order my air pressure over the internet. :)

10/7/20       #18: Question.... ...
Shane Welch

just to add my $.02 about coating that require their "#whatever number" for reducers and retarders.... Pull up the MSDS sheet and see what the blend is made off..... then mix your own coctails to suit your needs at half the cost of their specific reducers/retarders..... If it's varnish... it's usually a cocktail of Butyl acetate (Reducer), butyl cellosolve (Retarder)and EEP (Retarder)....... some acetone... eductae yourself with spec sheets and msds !

10/7/20       #19: Question.... ...
Leo G Member

Problem with that is you void any warranty the finish may have. Albeit they are usually pretty lame ie: replace the cans of finish but nothing for the labor which of course is 90% of the repair.

10/8/20       #20: Question.... ...
Shane Welch

Yes and no..... My local tech and sales guy have a good relationship with us and they know we know what the heck we are doing... If they are honest and good people they will absolutely tell you right out this is fine... If they are only out to sell you a bucket of paint at a time your using the wrong supplier.....We are several hundred gallons of materials a week so I guess that can be a different story for a guy with a bucket or two here and there...plus we are buying the reducers and solvents from them anyways.... just not their prepackaged blends....So if your not confident about how you mix coatings and what your putting in it...... ask them or buy the blends.

10/8/20       #21: Question.... ...
Leo G Member

Ya, that's a lot of paint. You get better service with that kind of buying power.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • Unique Machine & Tool
      Industrial Machinery for Door and Drawer Production
    • TotalFinishingSUPPLIES.com
      Solutions and supplies from spray tips to spray booths for all your woodworking needs
    • EX-FACTORY INC.
      Offering New & Used Woodworking Machinery including Auctions & Liquidations
    • Supergrit Abrasives
      Industrial Quality Abrasives Manufactured by Leading US and Foreign Companies
    • SAMES North America Corporation
      Precision Spraying Solutions From Pumps To Complete Application Systems-Design and Manufacture of Process Equipment Including Airspray, Airmix, Airless, Rexson Dispense, Electrostatic and Powder Coat

Become a Sponsor today!