45-Degree Corner Cabinet Options

Ideas for making use of spaces created by 45-degree bends in a kitchen floor layout, caused by a window bay. December 7, 2008

Question
I'm laying out a kitchen that has two 45 degree outside corners and one 45 degree inside corner. Are there any devices or gadgets to utilize these spaces? Or, how do you lay out the cabinets and drawers to use the space?

If you are doing a 45-degree cab, here are basically your options:

1. Full diagonal corner cabinet with open shelves (not the best use of the space). Also, it is hard to access things in the cabinet, and they will think of you (not in a good way, mind you) every time they have to do cabinet-diving.

2. Full diagonal corner cab with pole lazy susan (potential service calls).

3. Full diagonal corner cab with super susan (sits on bottom shelf, and on center shelf, with center shelf being adjustable in height) - this one gives you the most use of the cabinet (you can even place items to the left and right where the susan doesn't sit) without future service calls because a pole goes out of alignment (the older the house, the less likely this will occur, however).

4. Drawer bank - you can buy systems, but it's easier and more cost effective to make your own (hint - make a standard drawer-bank with 2 1/2" stiles and 45 the outside corners, which will give you 1 3/4" stiles for clearance, then position and tie the cab to the neighboring cabinets).

5. Combination drawer bank and super susan (giving the look of a full drawer bank, but with more storage, drawers on bottom and super susan on top behind drawer front with hinge to open for access).

6. Recycling/Garbage bin - some do it, I'm not a big fan, as cleaning out the inside of corner cabinet from time to time (yes it does need to be cleaned) is a pain and most likely will not be done by the homeowner and will ultimate develop an odor.

I've not seen of or tried anything else.

Thanks for your reply, but I realize I didn't make myself clear enough. The cabinets aren't regular 45 degree corner cabinets. Rather, the walls are like a giant bay window with the cabinets following the wall. This results in two 45 degree outside turns into the bay and then two 45 degree inside turns (one is next to the DW, so space utilization is restricted). The length of the 45 degree faces is 34". I'll try attaching a drawing.

For bases, I like a simple drawerstack. Sure, there is a lot of wasted space in the sides and behind, but hey, if we are trying to maximize storage space, we don't do corners in kitchen cab arrangements.

All those 135 turns will make for wasted space, for sure. But I'll bet we've got someone else to blame, probably someone who likes octagonal shapes. You will have four outside 135’s, including the island, and I might suggest corner susan’s like these (shown in frameless). The two-stack table is 20 inches in diameter. You can hinge both doors or fix one - owner's choice. It gets even smaller if you use an 18 diameter susan.

The two at the island might be done simply as open shelf units - no doors. As for your inside corners, susan tables will waste way too much space. You'll probably want to go with fixed shelves, and make them as narrow as possible. You need to get some drawers in there somehow, and let's not waste drawer width opportunity by making these corner’s too big.