Adapting an Airless Pump for Use with an AAA Gun

      A pump made for use with airless sprayguns can work with an air-assisted airless gun, but with some limitations. January 18, 2011

We have a Graco 390 airless pump and want to set it up for an air assisted airless gun. Can we just turn the pressure down on the fluid? Any advice?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From Paul Snyder, forum technical advisor:
You just need to attach the AAA gun, add a small air supply, and turn the fluid pressure down. Have you tried using the RAC-X fine finishing tips with the gun you have?

From contributor E:
I did this for a while using a Binks AA-4000 gun with a Graco Nova SP pump. I added a fluid pressure gauge at the pump output to read the pressure. Worked fantastically well for painting walls and ceilings. For woodwork, it worked okay, but the pump has a much smaller displacement than a real AAA pump (since it is electrically driven by a DC motor, and therefore uses frequent short strokes). This results in pulsation at the low pressures (400-600 psi) typical of AAA spraying. Using a 0.011" tip with waterborne lacquers, the pump would cycle every few seconds. There would be a pressure burst with each cycle, which I blamed for some of the sags I was getting. I switched to an air-driven AAA pump (16:1), and it has a much larger piston and stroke, so it only cycles every few minutes. It is also dual-action, which means it pumps both on the up-stroke and down-stroke. However, you can use the electric airless pump with good success if sags and unevenness are not a problem, and you don't want to go to very low pressures. I would say 600 psi was about the lowest I could reliably use it. This Graco pump was an older professional model with electronic pressure control. I paid about the same for each pump used.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: General Wood Finishing

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2018 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article