Aging and Bleaching Walnut

Quick tip on giving Walnut a driftwood-gray aged appearance while preserving the grain. November 29, 2014

Iím sure many will consider this sacrilege, but I'd like to bleach and then grey (age) some black walnut. I want the wonderful grain of the wood, but want a middle grey when finished. I am about to start experimenting with a two part wood bleach, and then a vinegar plus steel wool solution. The table will be finished with tung oil.

Why not use butternut? Same grain and figure and it will save you a lot of work.

The piece is already built. I built two tables, and had a change of heart regarding one of them.

Walnut can turn greenish when you use the two part bleach. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You can always sand it back if it does.

I have done this (the driftwood grey look seems to be one of the more popular looks in my neck of the woods lately). I use Daly's two component wood bleach, then make a stain mixing white and touch of black to reach the grey the customer has in mind, top it off with a flat CV and viola it looks like it spent five years laying in the sand and sun after spending two years floating in the sea.