Alternatives to Automotive Epoxy for Wood Filling

Woodworkers discuss hard, sandable wood-filling compounds. March 25, 2007

Question
I saw this Bondo like stuff on American Chopper/Hot Rod don't remember which one. It seemed thinner and easier to work with. Kind of spreads easier. Anyone know of the product I'm thinking of? Or at least a product for filling larger holes in veneer? Bondo can be a pain and it would be nice to find an alternative. Everything touched by it is to be painted, so no worries on colors.

In the automotive industry they have two styles of Bondo, one for filling and the other for feathering. The filler is red in color and the feathering is blue-green in color. I don't know what its real name is, but it may give you a start on locating something similar.

Some of that auto body filler is way expensive and overkill for filling voids in plywood for painting. You may want to consider better plywood over better filler.

The thinner stuff is glazing compound, available in two part mix, or single part in a tube. Both are kind of expensive, but the two part dries very fast and sands okay. Another option is Durarock or Durabond(?) - the brown bag stuff, for drywall. Hard, dries quick, but dusty. Rock hard, the stuff in a can, mix with water, okay too.

I touch up lacquer paint chips and dings with white Kampel Seam-Fil (designed for laminate seams). Spreads easy and dries quick. I use lacquer thinner on a rag to "sand" it flat once it cures. Shoot a topcoat of lacquer to touch up that spot and done! Not quite what you are looking for, but a neat trick nonetheless.

We use Evercoat glazing compound which is pretty thin, sticks amazingly well and sands so thin you can read through it. They hold a patent on the formula, which improves its adhesion. The glazing is pourable, so you can't fill big holes on vertical surfaces. Color is neutral beige... makes a great wood filler and we use a lot of it. It's sold through auto body supply dealers.

Contributor G rang the bell. We buy it from NAPA. Their bondo (Microlight) is the best and most cost effective product. At $12 a gallon, it sands very well, unlike the typical Bondo products.

Thanks for the info. I will probably try some of everything. I just picked up some Microlight bondo from Napa, but mine was $24 for a gallon. That's a steep jump up from yours. We probably want something like Microlight for larger stuff, and then some of the pre-mix in a tube stuff for smaller fixes.

Comment from contributor L:
I use Bondo as filler on plywood under laminates. The trick is to apply the Bondo slightly (1/16") above the level of the repaired surface. When the bono has dried to where your thumbnail can just leave a mark, use a "cheese grater" type file to level the filled area. I prefer the Shureform "open" type files to the older "body lead" type files with the circular, wood-rasp type cutting teeth. Then sand at once with 100-grit or so no-fill sandpaper, and you are done in maybe 10 minutes, start-to-finish.